However Ewa, a pensioner who had also just been to Mass, said that although she did not identify as a liberal, she would be voting for Trzaskowski out of concern about the ruling party’s dramatic accumulation of power since it was first elected in 2015. “I am against all of the power in this country being concentrated in the hands of one party. I survived communism, when one party had all the power,” she said. … [Read more...] about Poland’s presidential election too close to call as voting under way
There have been problems before — in the 2018 midterm election, thousands of filled-out absentee ballots that voters posted before the deadline were not delivered in time to be counted. This time USPS faces an even greater challenge as the number of people requesting a mail-in ballot is expected to increase exponentially because of the coronavirus. In addition, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy has implemented changes that are seen by many as weakening the postal service. DeJoy, a well-known ally of US President Donald Trump, reorganized USPS leadership and removed the top-two executives who were overseeing day-to-day operations. Before that, he had already banned employees from working overtime and making extra trips to deliver mail. Critics view these steps as sabotage. … [Read more...] about US presidential election: Will mail-in ballots work smoothly?
Were the elections fair? ANFREL, the international monitoring group, has stopped short of labelling this election "not free and fair". But it is highly critical of the advantages given to the incumbent military government, of poor voter information and restrictions on freedom of expression. … [Read more...] about Thailand election: Full vote count in but no winner yet
Americans must hope that the protesters of recent days do not respond in kind to any such provocations. The Atlanta rapper Killer Mike has urged those marching across the US to take on prosecutors, mayoral offices, police chiefs and deputy chiefs in the voting booth, and to challenge those local structures of judicial and civic power, where systemic racism still thrives. A new generation of politicians, informed by the culture and insights of movements such as Black Lives Matter, will be required to follow through successfully on such a strategy. They may find allies in police officers such as those in New Jersey who have marched with protesters, or the police chief in Atlanta who condemned the use of Tasers by her officers and went out into the street to listen to demonstrators. But they will need to access the levers of power themselves; for America they cannot come of age soon enough. … [Read more...] about The Guardian view on the death of George Floyd: a turning point?
Undoubtedly. For one thing, these latest bombings are hardly the only times the Saudi-led coalition has killed civilians from the air. An independent monitoring group, the Yemen Data Project, found that there have been 55 airstrikes against civilian vehicles and buses in the first seven months of this year alone, and that of the 18,000 airstrikes between March 2015 to April 2018, almost a third (31%) of the targets were non-military (either civilians or civilian infrastructure) and another 33% of the strikes were classified as having unknown targets. That’s 64% of the strikes that could not be determined as having clear military targets. … [Read more...] about US bombs are killing children in Yemen. Does anybody care?