When one traces the coasts of the Mediterranean there is one taste shared but not agreed upon: Olive oil. Every single country around the Mediterranean coast uses olive oil, but each of them has its own variety, and, of course, each varietal performs differently in every other region. Last week there were two interesting events at far ends of Turkey in quest for finding the right olive oil. One was in Hatay, a province on the Syrian border, the other in Istanbul. The focus of both events was olive oil, asking the very same question. Which olive oil to choose? Hatay is famous for its delicious food, and has recently been selected as one of the Creative Cities of UNESCO in the field of gastronomy. With distinctively spicy and bold tastes, its cuisine is far from being subtle; every dish has strong flavors, its olive oil being no exception. Hatay tables are never short of olives, especially the miniscule halhalı olives with tiny pits, nibbled akin to peanuts from breakfast to the … [Read more...] about Which olive oil is yours?
Turkish ice cream recipe
There is always a dilemma facing gastronomy students. They become competent in classics, but their hearts are set in creating tomorrow’s masterpieces. They strive to be the next creative genius, another milestone in the history of the culinary world. Being creative is not everyone’s fare; it is hard to find one’s own voice, especially in the early stages of life. Young chefs tend to be copycats of famous celebrity chefs. Gastronomy is one field where plagiarism is not frowned upon much. Being impatient comes with being young. For the current whichever-last-three-alphabet-letter generation they belong to, the quest for becoming an instant success is greater than ever. They do not want to recognize the fact that this is a profession of blood, sweat and tears, but they only tend to see the glitz and glam on social media. When it comes to reading, few young chefs have the time to read. This is not only confined to young people in the gastronomy sector, but having … [Read more...] about Past forward
Health By Kate Smith Institute for Fiscal Studies 5 April 2018 Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Messenger Share this with Messenger Share this with Email Share Share this with These are external links and will open in a new window Email Share this with Email Facebook Share this with Facebook Messenger Share this with Messenger Messenger Share this with Messenger Twitter Share this with Twitter Pinterest Share this with Pinterest WhatsApp Share this with WhatsApp LinkedIn Share this with LinkedIn Copy this link http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43414777 Read more about sharing. These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel An anti-obesity drive is about to see a tax introduced on sugary drinks across the UK, while Scotland is set to impose a minimum price on alcohol to target problem drinking. But does making … [Read more...] about Why are sugar and alcohol about to get more expensive?
Every day, Italian-born Giacomo Ferigo concocts his savory treats in what he calls his "ice cream laboratory" in an upscale neighborhood in Cologne. Using organic milk and real fruit, he whips up unusual flavors like pear-parsley, pumpernickel, rose and chilli pepper-chocolate. Naturally, his customers say it's the best ice cream in town. "You have to learn ice cream-making from the ground up," he mused, "and know exactly what you're putting into it. You also have to be creative and have a great sense of taste!" Ice cream-making as an art form Of the ice cream sold in Germany, 85 percent of it is manufactured industrially. The other 15 percent is made fresh, primarily by Italians or Germans with Italian heritage, and sold in ice cream parlors. Many of the Italian ice cream makers in Germany were born here and learned the craft from their immigrant parents, but 46-year-old Ferigo has a different story. "I grew up in Italy and actually wanted to become a chef, but … [Read more...] about Italian ice cream has pleased palates in Germany for over a century