A WOMAN who was given a 1,000 chance of survival when a coach she was travelling on in the Alps burst into flames has posed at London Fashion Week. Catrin Pugh, 24, from Chester, was left with 96 per cent burns, including every inch apart from her scalp and soles of her feet, when she was pulled from the wreckage in 2013. She had to undergo more than 200 operations and is thought to be the oldest person to survive such severe burns. Her bus crashed as it travelled down a steep mountain road which features 21 hairpin bends near Alpe d'Huez, killing the 63-year-old driver Maurice Wrightson. She’s now appeared at the Portrait Positive show, featuring women with facial disfigurements and conditions. She told BBC Radio Wales: “You don't often see people with scars and birthmarks, and any kind of facial difference or bodily difference represented.” The models were photographed by Rankin, and wore clothes designed by Steven Tai as part of a campaign created with charity … [Read more...] about Woman who suffered 96 per cent burns when holiday coach burst into flames models at London Fashion Week
Slightly burns when i pee
HAVE you ever experienced a spine-tingling shiver when you wee? While popping to the loo and shivering might not seem closely related, it turns out this is a phenomenon that affects a lot of people. It affects more men than women, and it's got nothing to do with being cold. It's thought to be related to how your bladder, and emptying it, is linked to your nervous system. In a SciShow YouTube clip, host Olivia Gordon said it's not yet known exactly why this happens as there has been no peer-reviewed study into the odd sensation. "The shivering might have to do with an interaction between two different parts of your nervous system," she said. "When you chose to start urinating your body also lowers your blood system. "That's the parasympathetic nervous system at work, the part responsible for involuntary processes that are more about resting like digestion and lowering your heart rate." She continued: "But peeing also triggers the sympathetic nervous system which is involved in … [Read more...] about Why some people SHIVER when they pee – and is it something to worry about?
‘When I saw Malvina I knew that little girl was going to be my daughter... it’s been a journey of blood, sweat and tears, but worth every bit of it’ BelfastTelegraph.co.uk It took Nina Noddings two gruelling years to adopt her beautiful daughter, Malvina, from Russia and just five months to capture the highs and lows of the painstaking journey in an inspirational new book. In what is a must read for anyone considering adopting a child from overseas, Malvina The Special Little Girl Who Stole Our Hearts is a touching, yet practical, story of one couple's determination to become new parents. https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/when-i-saw-malvina-i-knew-that-little-girl-was-going-to-be-my-daughter-its-been-a-journey-of-blood-sweat-and-tears-but-worth-every-bit-of-it-37147391.html https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/article37147383.ece/f2e01/AUTOCROP/h342/2018-07-24_lif_42721443_I1.JPG Email It took Nina Noddings two gruelling years to … [Read more...] about ‘When I saw Malvina I knew that little girl was going to be my daughter… it’s been a journey of blood, sweat and tears, but worth every bit of it’
A mum has spoken of her horror after her daughter was "left with chemical burns" when her Soft'n Slo Squishies toy burst while it was in her hands. Lisa Marie Coyle had to rush her daughter Cara-Rose to hospital on Sunday morning when the toy burst and the nine-year-old started screaming in pain. The mum-of-four said there was a liquid inside which caused her daughter's skin to blister and claims doctors said it was the result of a chemical burn, reports Belfast Live . Lisa Marie said she wanted to raise awareness of the potential dangers. "We purchased it on Saturday in the Sainsbury's in Craigavon, she gets something every four weeks for getting her spelling right," said the mum, from Coalisland in County Tyrone. "This is the new craze and she had it all day Saturday and my two-year-old as well. I dread to think what could have happened. "I got up on Sunday morning to her screaming in pain. The purpose of the toy is to squeeze it but it burst and went all round her hand, two … [Read more...] about Mum’s horror after daughter, 9, ‘left with chemical burns’ when toy burst
A mum-of-one has told how she feels lucky to be alive after suffering horrific third degrees burns when a family barbecue went drastically wrong. Yvonne Morgan has been left scarred for life after an accelerant was used causing a huge explosion and a fireball to head in her direction. She had been sitting on the garden patio in front of an alleyway around 10ft away from the barbecue when her clothes burst into flames. The 57-year-old, from Congleton, said: “It happened so quickly that I literally had time to just shut my eyes and I could instantly feel the intense heat all over my body.” A 999 call was made and firefighters from Congleton and ambulance staff attended to her before she was airlifted to Wythenshaw Hospital where she spent three to four days in intensive care. She then spent another four months in hospital having treatment for the burns, which were second and third degree covering 30 per cent of her body, including her face, arms, body and legs. Yvonne’s … [Read more...] about Mum left with horrific burns when barbecue went drastically wrong