A 38-year-old woman from Keighley, West Yorkshire was in a coma last week following a suspected allergic reaction to a home hair dye. Doctors have given Julie McCabe, who coloured her hair with L'Oréal Preference colourant three weeks ago, an 8% chance of survival with little chance of a full recovery. McCabe's case is the latest in a series of recent news reports linking the use of hair colourant to serious anaphylactic reactions. Anaphalactic reactions can be fatal. Less than a month ago, teenager Tabatha McCourt collapsed and died following what is believed to be an extreme reaction to a home hair dye kit she'd used just 20 minutes before. The chemical culprit is widely believed to be p-Phenylenediamine (PPD), an organic compound used in over 99% of all permanent hair dyes, as well as in a variety of other applications, such as permanent makeup, black clothing and even newsprint (it is illegal in all other cosmetic products, so black eyeliners, mascaras and so on, are always … [Read more...] about Could your hair dye kill you?
Life support chances of survival
A man who became ill after being licked by his dog later died a horrific death in hospital because of a rare infection from his pet's saliva. The 63-year-old was completely healthy before being struck down with the devastating disease. He spent more than two weeks suffering in hospital with a catalogue of painful conditions including pneumonia, gangrene and a fever of 41°C (106°F). The unnamed man had been infected with a bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus, which can cause bite infections or even illness from just a lick. When the man first went to hospital he had had flu-like symptoms for three days, a fever and laboured breathing. The man developed blisters across his entire head and body and got an infection which caused blood to clot deep inside his body and trigger rotting of the skin (Pictured: The patient still alive a few days after being admitted to hospital) His tragic case was reported in a journal by doctors from the Rote Kreuz Krankenhaus in Bremen, … [Read more...] about Dog owner dies after being LICKED by his pet: Healthy 63-year-old caught deadly infection from his animal’s saliva
An Edinburgh fitness instructor who was put into a coma to save her life in Vietnam is due to return to the UK.Mekala Osborne developed a virus similar to pneumonia while travelling in September.Her condition deteriorated so badly her family was told she had a 5% chance of survival.But after being induced into a coma and moved to a hospital in Singapore, she will finally land back on British soil on Saturday.The 22-year-old was on a holiday with friends in Vietnam when she fell ill. Three weeks into the tour of South East Asia, she developed a sore throat.She bought a facemask to protect her from germs and some Strepsils for her throat, but within 24 hours she was in hospital fighting for her life.While in intensive care at Danang Hospital, her mother Yvonne McAulay was summoned from Edinburgh, with stepfather Jimmy McAulay arriving days later.He said: "She was put into a medically-induced coma, she was ventilated and she was on kidney dialysis by the time I arrived."We were told she … [Read more...] about Vietnam coma Scot to return to UK after two months
Seven days ago Oliver Wilson drove his sick, shivering wife Layson to an isolation clinic for suspected cases of Ebola. The 33-year-old nurse, knew from her symptoms that she had contracted the world’s most feared virus. She knew also that she was about to die from the incurable disease. But she had stopped short of telling Oliver. And she deliberately didn’t hug their one-year-old son Oliver Junior as she walked alone through the quarantine tape surrounding the tin-roofed hospital unit. Her fear that she could infect the tot through a drop of sweat or a stray tear was based on sound knowledge. Yesterday grief-stricken Oliver wept and banged his head against the steering wheel of the family car as he watched Layson’s body chucked unceremoniously on to the back of a truck in a white plastic bag. Video Loading Video Unavailable Click to play Tap to play The video will start in 8Cancel Play now He had been denied the chance to say goodbye to … [Read more...] about Inside Ebola hell: Mirrorman witnesses horror of bodies being tipped into truck at Africa clinic
A "fantastic granddad" found dangling upside down from the top of a 300ft chimney died from hypothermia and brain swelling, an inquest heard today. The hearing into the death of 53-year-old Robert Philip Longcake was told he spent 15 hours trapped at the top of the Dixon's chimney in Carlisle and was "suspended by his ankle". Mr Longcake was described as a "fantastic granddad" and "a strong, brave man who achieved a lot in his short life" by his family shortly after his death on October 28. The inquest was opened and adjourned this morning in Cockermouth by Cumbria area coroner Kirsty Gomersal. It heard how the family man from Carlisle became stranded on top of the tower in the early hours and died before emergency services were able to rescue him. His body was eventually brought to ground at 4.30pm the same day by rope rescue specialists, who used a 300ft cherry picker to get to the top of the chimney. A post-mortem, conducted three weeks ago, concluded the council worker's cause … [Read more...] about Dad found dangling from 300ft chimney died of hypothermia and brain swelling