"Terry started on his show when I was seven. I remember listening at the breakfast table on cold school mornings with the sound turned down very low, because I didn't want to disturb my dad's breakfast on the other side of the table. Terry was solidly mainstream while I was in my teenage/punk phase, which only really ended when I left Newsnight and joined R2 myself. So I missed the mid-section of his career and then suddenly found myself in the same office. When I encountered him he was everything you imagine from his on-air persona - deeply courteous, very friendly, quick, very funny, self-deprecating and above all happy to make you feel you're worth passing the time with. … [Read more...] about Tributes flood in as Sir Terry Wogan prepares for final Radio 2 Breakfast Show
The ad follows a 2019 study about how some New Zealand teenagers use online porn to learn about sex. There was a similar report from Ireland in 2018. I thought then as I do now: teenagers can’t find out about sex from porn – they can only find out about porn from porn. This continues to be a hugely disturbing and complicated issue. Modern youngsters are dealing with unprecedented explicit content, unlimited access and sheer volume. They’re routinely bombarded with damaging, violent, non-consensual imagery their immature brains haven’t a hope of processing. … [Read more...] about Talk to your child about porn. No one else will do it, or should
Now, you may disagree: apparently 70% of the UK thinks that the monarchy is a good thing. But you’d think comedians, and lovers of comedy, would be disproportionately represented in the remaining 30%, wouldn’t you? Isn’t it (at least in theory) a dissenting art form, on the side of the little people, against unthinking privilege and unaccountable power? Isn’t it – as the rightwing press, and Andrew Lawrence, are forever telling us – entirely dominated by strident leftwing voices? If so, where is the counterpoint to the orgy of royalism now unfolding? Yes, there are Corbynista standups, and the “celebrate your grovelling servitude to the Queen” sketch on The Revolution Will Be Televised (four years ago now) leaps to mind. But there’s been nothing concentrated on the republican cause. … [Read more...] about Not heard the one about the Queen: why don’t comedians criticise the monarchy?
I meet Crawford and the show's co-producer, standup Angie Le Mar, in a dressing room whose movement-sensitive lights keep plunging us into darkness. We talk about their lowly beginnings. "I did gigs in working men's clubs," says Crawford, "where the compere would introduce me as Luther Vandross." "We didn't have anybody who went before us," says Le Mar. "The only one was Lenny Henry. But Lenny had to do certain things to get where he wanted to go." She doesn't say it, but I take this to be a reference to Henry's notorious appearance on the touring Black and White Minstrel Show in the 1970s. "Until us," says Le Mar, "nobody was speaking on stage in our voices." … [Read more...] about Heard the one about the black standups?
Saturday Hosted by the mighty Kiri Pritchard-McLean, Comedy at the Covid Arms has become a lockdown favourite for its first-rate lineups mixing established stars and top names from the circuit. The next show (tickets must be bought before 5pm on 6 June) features Frankie Boyle, Dane Baptiste, Fran Lobo and Dan Nightingale. Money raised goes to the performers and to the Trussell Trust. £2 and upwards; for £10 you get a “front-row seat” letting you interact with the performers. … [Read more...] about Lockdown laughs: where to watch online comedy