Will Mellor has admitted he previously turned down Strictly Come Dancing after fearing it would 'affect his career in a negative way'.
The actor, 46, didn't want to take part in certain shows in the past which may have taken him out of his comfort zone, but found that his father's death changed his outlook on things.
He explained: 'I've been asked to do things over the years and I've never wanted to do them, I was always a bit wary of doing things that might affect my career in a negative way.
'My mindset changed a couple of years ago after I lost my dad. Once I had gone through the grief I just realised you have to grab life and start saying "yes" to things.'
It was this outlook that made the Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps star finally agree to take part in the dance show, adding: 'When I got the phone call about Strictly something inside me said "just say yes, do it". Because I'd rather look back and say "I did that" rather than "why didn't I do that?"
'I want to do something that's a challenge. It's scary and it's out of my comfort zone, but those are the things that you remember, and that's why I decided to do it.'
Will added: 'Also it's my mum's favourite show and she's had a really tough couple of years, so it will give her something to look forward to and to smile about.'
Strictly is due to kick off on Friday, however Will revealed he was nursing a knee injury just days before, telling his followers on Instagram: 'In rehearsal for @bbcstrictly !! My knees are in shock!! #tooldforthis #strictlycomedancing #dancing #badknees #shattered ,' as he iced them with frozen peas.
He previously revealed his fears that his knees could give out, explaining: 'I've got bad knees and football injuries, operations and stuff. I'm having to ice them every night and stuff.
'So it's just, if they pop out in the middle of a dance routine live on telly, there's not much I can do because I will just hit the floor, and they do.
'They've popped out while I've been walking down the stairs before now. I can pop it back in, but at that moment, I have no strength in the leg. It's just from football injuries and operations so as long as that stays alright, then whatever will be will be.'
Strictly Come Dancing starts on Friday at 7pm on BBC One.
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Strictly Come Dancing 2021 line-up: Celebrity contestants confirmed - FULL LIST
- Strictly Come Dancing: Ex-rugby star Ugo Monye completes 2021 line-up
- Janette Manrara: Strictly pro addresses being told she's 'too short and Latin' to model
- Strictly’s Artem slams judges’ ‘all over the place’ scores and calls for new system to stop exits like Dev and Dianne
- "Raffi for President": A children's icon looks back on his long career
- Kinky Friedman Comes Home
- ‘Just Come Out and Say It’: Players Want Answers on the Changing Ball
- Aljaz Skorjanec talks 'future' with Janette as he brands wife his 'rock' after diagnosis
- I’d love to make my toyboy boyfriend husband number three – after all, you can always get divorced, says Shirley Ballas
- AJ Pritchard: I'm A Celebrity star’s girlfriend says hitman was offered £20k to kill her
- Sarah Harding 'dreamed of becoming a mother' before her tragic death to breast cancer at 39, her ex Chad Johnson reveals
- Caroline Flack’s mum says star was a happy-go-lucky girl but was petrified of people seeing her dark side
- Celebrity SAS: Troubled stars Ulrika and Kerry say contest made them stronger
- As a former Love Island virgin, I now know it’s toxic TV – but I’ll be tuning in again
- Dion Dublin recalls moment John Torode told him off on Celeb Masterchef 'Don't do that!'
- Charlie Brooks' life after EastEnders - Flogging sex toys, sobriety and living under ex
- Dan Walker saddened at Caroline Flack doc as he pleads ‘we should judge words carefully'
- 17 best self-help books 2021: Improve your life, be happier & inspire motivation
- Additional answers needed for stay-at-work businesses
- Why It Pays to Be a Jerk
Will Mellor worried Strictly Come Dancing would negatively affect his career: ‘It’s scary and it’s out of my comfort zone’ have 822 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 23, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.