Ryan Giggs is set to face trial today accused of attacking and controlling his ex-girlfriend and assaulting her sister.
The former Manchester United footballer is alleged to have used controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville between August 2017 and November 2020.
He is also charged with assaulting Ms Greville, 36, and causing her actual bodily harm, as well as the common assault of her younger sister, Emma Greville, at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on 1 November 2020.
Giggs has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The 48-year-old was due to face trial in January but the hearing was put back due to the ongoing backlog of court cases exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 10-day trial is due to begin on Monday at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court before it transfers to Manchester Crown Court on Tuesday for the remainder of the proceedings.
Arrangements for the case were finalised on Thursday after Manchester Crown Court had to close due to testing for asbestos.
Giggs stood down as manager of the Wales national football team in June following a period of leave since November 2020.
In a statement, he said he did not want the country’s preparations for this year’s World Cup in Qatar to be “affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case”.
During Giggs’ time at Old Trafford, Manchester United won 13 Premier League titles, two Champions League trophies, four FA Cups and three League Cups.
He won 64 caps for Wales and is co-owner of League Two side Salford City.
- Richmond man faces trial for allegedly killing ex-girlfriend, as family questions police for letting him go hours before
- Rapper and ex-BBC Radio 1 Xtra presenter Rodney P attacked one ex-girlfriend 'and threw another onto the floor like she was a rag doll'
- Ryan Giggs rebailed until February 1 ‘pending further enquiries’ leaving Wales with managerial dilemma before Euros
- ISIS Beatles CAN face trial in America: Terror suspect's mother loses High Court bid to stop pair's prosecution in US - meaning they face life in 'hell on earth' supermax prison if convicted
- Ryan Giggs’s bail for domestic abuse case extended until February
- Cage fighter tells jury he killed his beautician ex-girlfriend because he was 'overwhelmed' when she told him she was still having sex for money and had slept with two of her relatives
- Former cage fighter 'stabbed ex-girlfriend to death in row over her sex life'
- Alex Zverev’s ex-girlfriend Olga Sharypova says she attempted suicide after world No7 ‘punched her in the face’
- Builder, 45, dies in prison days before facing trial for murdering his 'beautiful and kind' ex-army fitness trainer girlfriend, 26
- Playboy James Stunt, 38, and new girlfriend, 24, to face trial for possession of cocaine and assault
- Trump HHS official faces firestorm after attacks on scientists
- Suspended LSU WR Drake Davis again arrested, accused of beating ex while out on bond
- Van driver smashed house window with a hammer and rescued girl, 13, whose mother was stabbed to death by her cage fighter ex-boyfriend after he accused her of being an escort, court hears
- Azerbaijan threatens to cause a 'nuclear catastrophe' by attacking power station in Armenia amid deadly border clashes
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's ex-fiancé Nick Gordon, 30, spent his final hours downing tequila shots, smoking pot and snorting heroin, as newly released photos show grisly aftermath of hotel room where he overdosed
- Tears of a killer: Jealous ex now jailed for 25 years sobs during 999 call as he lies that his former partner had drowned by accident - after he had launched fatal attack, had sex with her and dumped her naked corpse in tent
- Petra Ecclestone's ex-husband James Stunt, 38, and his new lover Helena Robinson, 24, will face jury trial for possessing cocaine and assault charges
- LSU official might have broken federal law after Drake Davis admitted he hit girlfriend
- 'Show us it's worth it': Boris Johnson faces new rebellion over tough new coronavirus tiers as SEVENTY Tory MPs say they will REFUSE to vote for them unless the PM proves they 'will save more lives than they cost' - as 10pm pub curfew faces the axe
- Palace outrage at Netflix's The Crown as Prince Charles' friends launch a blistering attack on the TV drama and accuse producers of 'trolling on a Hollywood budget' ahead of the fourth series' launch
Ryan Giggs to face trial accused of attacking and controlling ex-girlfriend have 696 words, post on news.sky.com at August 8, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.