KARACHI: The available window for PSL is likely to clash with the IPL in 2025 due to Pakistan's packed international cricket schedule that year as per Future Tours Programme (FTP) 2023-27.
There would be a clash of dates between the two leagues as Pakistan is hosting its first ICC tournament in almost 30 years (the 1996 ODI World Cup was the last) — the Champions Trophy in February 2025, according to the ESPNcricinfo .
That forced the PCB to ink in a window for the tenth season of the PSL between March and May while the IPL’s window in the international calendar starts in the first week of March every year, all the way to the beginning of June.
After missing out on a chance to host multi-nation cricket at home in the three previous three FTP cycles, Pakistan has started to host top teams in the last three years, and is set to host all Full Members (barring India) in the 2023-27 Future Tours Programme.
There are 27 Tests, including 13 at home, as part of the ICC World Test Championship cycles, 26 home ODIs out of a total of 47, and 27 T20Is out of a total of 56. The Tests are part of the successive World Test Championship cycles, said the website.
The surfeit of matches, however, means there will be a clash of dates when it comes to the PSL and the IPL in 2025, and the 2026 PSL will end up taking place fewer than seven months later, in December 2025-January 2026. But the 12th edition of the PSL, in 2027, will return to its normal window in January-February, said ESPNcricinfo .
In a statement, PCB chief executive Faisal Hasnain said: “While finalising our Future Tours Programme 2023-2027 in a tight and densely-packed cricket calendar, we have given priority to context, quality, and player workload.”
He maintained that they tried to find an appropriate balance across all the three formats so that these continue to co-exist meaningfully.
Hussain said that he was sure that the cricket fans will be delighted to know that top-ranked and attractive sides such as Bangladesh, England, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and the West Indies will visit Pakistan to compete in matches for the ICC World Test Championship.
“Additionally, Afghanistan, Australia, Ireland and Zimbabwe will also tour Pakistan for the white-ball matches, which means 10 of the 12 ICC Full Members will play cricket in Pakistan during the four-year period. This is exciting.”
The PCB will also host two triangular ODI series — a rarity these days — at home: with South Africa and New Zealand in February 2025, and with England and Sri Lanka in 2026.
“We are also mindful that our sides must be provided with the best preparation opportunities so that they perform strongly in ICC competitions,” Hasnain said.
“Accordingly, this has also been an integral part of our strategy around scheduling, as we have scheduled appropriate international matches in the lead-up to the ICC events,” he added.
“Furthermore, and in line with our vision for triangular ODI series to contribute in increasing excitement and attracting greater audiences, we have so far scheduled two tri-series in February 2025 and October/November 2026, involving New Zealand and South Africa, and England and Sri Lanka, respectively. This is also something for the fans to look forward to.
“The certainty and clarity around our home bilateral fixtures until 2027 provides us the platform to put together a robust commercial programme, so that we can optimise the exploitation of our commercial rights," he said, adding that this will enable them to hopefully increase their revenues.
- India vs South Africa 2019: India's ideal XI for the first T20I
- Yuvraj Singh regrets not settling with any IPL team
- World Cup 2019: Pakistan vs Afghanistan match preview
- India's road to the 2019 Cricket World Cup semi-finals
- World Cup 2019: Australia vs Pakistan, Match Preview
- Durand Cup 2019: Mohun Bagan vs Indian Navy
- UEFA Champions League 2019-20: Group B preview and predictions
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs Manchester City Preview
- Where to Watch the Premier League
- WI vs IND 2019: India's ideal middle-order for the first T20I
- Boxing LIVE! Amir Khan vs Billy Dib
- World Cup 2019: India vs Afghanistan, Match Preview
- England set for 2020 limited-overs series with Australia
- Australia vs New Zealand: 2019 Cricket World Cup preview
- Australia vs New Zealand: A semi-final preview
- Live on Sky: Salford set for Carabao Cup debut against Leeds
- Clash of the most populous rugby nations
- World Cup 2019: Sri Lanka vs India, Match Preview
- World Cup 2019: New Zeland vs Australia Match Preview
- World Cup 2019: England vs India match preview
PSL vs IPL: Dates of Pakistan, India T20 leagues set to clash in 2025 have 724 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at August 17, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.