Gloria Hunniford talks about her daughter’s battle with cancer
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Gloria Hunniford, 82, was awarded an OBE at Buckingham Palace in 2017 from the Queen for her contributions to cancer charities. In a recent interview, the Loose Women panellist explained how she kept her nerves at bay by creating a “faux pas”.
I think the Queen is remarkable!
The Northern Irish broadcaster was pictured chatting and sharing a sweet exchange with the Queen during 2017’s investiture ceremony.
Gloria was awarded for her contributions to cancer charities through breast screening services and cancer support.
When asked in a new interview about the experience, she revealed: “I think the Queen is remarkable – receiving my OBE for services to charity from her in 2017 was very special. However, I made a faux pas.
“If I shake a person's hand, I have a habit of putting my left hand over the clasped hands.
‘Never let her hand go!’ Gloria Hunniford admits ‘faux pas’ tactic when meeting the Queen (Image: GETTY/ITV)
Gloria received her OBE in 2017 (Image: GETTY)
“I heard later that when she shakes your hand, it's a sign that you're coming to the end of your chat.
“My family were sitting there, so proud, but thinking, 'She's never going to let the Queen's hand go!'”, she told Prima .
Gloria lost her sister, Caron Keating, also a TV presenter to breast cancer in 2004.
With the help of her sons Paul and Michael this led her to set up the Caron Keating Foundation.
Gloria created a faux pas (Image: PRIMA UK/NICKY JOHNSTON)
Gloria spoke to Prima UK (Image: PRIMA UK/NICKY JOHNSTON)
The charity’s aim is to give grants to small cancer charities throughout the UK, financing professional carers, support groups and counselling services.
Meanwhile, Gloria regularly joins the panel on Loose Women but had to take a break in June after she was rushed to hospital.
The presenter had a serious fall and was left “black and blue” and with a broken bone under her eye.
Speaking at the time, she said: “This is my first day out [since the fall] and I couldn’t think of a nicer place to come.
“I had a big [fall] this time. I tripped over a rug and I took the fall totally on my face. I took it all on a very hard wooden floor.
“I’ve cracked a bone under my eye, unfortunately. There’s a bone under your eye that holds the socket in place, and that is unfortunately broken.
“As long as it doesn’t take the muscle down my eyesight is good.
Gloria admitted she still has “nightmares” after the traumatic experience.
She said: “I’m getting there after my fall but I am not quite back to my usual self.
“But, fortunately, most of the bruising has gone and one of the make-up girls has found a potion that works a treat. I tripped over a rug and went down on a floor that was as hard as concrete.
“I still have nightmares about the terrible smack I made going down. It was terrible and it takes your confidence away. Even the way you walk down the street – a higgledy-piggledy paving stone will scare me now. But I am getting there.”
- 'Bellies get in way!' Ola Jordan says sex suffered due to weight gain
- Loose Women fans slam panel for discussing cost of living crisis
- Saira Khan, 52, leaves kids 'mortified' as she flaunts 'womanly body’
- Andrea McLean admits she still feels ‘lost’ after quitting Loose Women
- ‘Nipple popped out’ Love Island star Ekin-Su’s ‘wardrobe malfunction’
- Charlene White bids sad farewell amid Serena Williams’ tennis exit
- Introducing Twitter payola: Stop advertising, and lose your Verified badge; UPDATE: Twitter admits it was a mistake
- Meet the pirate queen making academic papers free online
- When whisper networks let us down: how communities struggle — and sometimes fail — to stop sexual assault
- When whisper networks let us down
- Comments for : Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand
- Meet Antifa's Secret Weapon Against Far-Right Extremists
- Comments for : Samsung GALAXY Note LTE hands-on
- Comments for : BlackBerry Passport one step closer to launch after FCC meet
- ‘DJing for grown ups’ with the music supervisor for ‘I’m Dying Up Here,’ ‘Luke Cage’
- OPINION Prank Responsibly: April Fools' Gags That Missed the Mark
- Comments for : New BlackBerry smartphone with Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 CPU coming soon?
- Comments for : BlackBerry KEYone's keyboard shortcuts get showcased in official video
- The 50 Best New Board Games
- Comments for : 4 things that make the Nokia 8 unique
- 6 productivity hacks to become better at IT — fast
- Comments for : Jony Ive pushing a flatter, simpler iOS design to the Apple design committee
- Who ate best on the
- A Failure of Intelligence
- 30 of the best retro games ported to Android
- Who Killed the Virtual Case File?
'Never let her hand go!' Gloria Hunniford admits 'faux pas' tactic when meeting the Queen have 989 words, post on www.express.co.uk at August 11, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.