MANCHESTER UNITED have been enduring a miserable summer transfer window… and fans fear things are about to get a whole lot worse.
A disastrous start in the Premier League was hardly a shock after the club’s struggles to rebuild following last season’s debacle.
The Red Devils’ campaign kicked off on a poor note as they lost 2-1 to Brighton at Old Trafford to a chorus of boos from disgruntled supporters.
The Manchester giants had raised hopes after hiring the highly-talented Erik ten Hag following a turbulent stint under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick (not to mention Jose, LVG and David Moyes).
A number of high-profile players who could turn the tide were linked with United after the Dutchman’s arrival.
The likes of Frenkie de Jong, Cody Gakpo, Erling Haaland and Darwin Nunez were all approached but nothing came of it.
So far, Ten Hag has only seen Lisandro Martinez, Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia arriving at Old Trafford.
But now Adrien Rabiot is also said to be on his way from Juventus to fill in for record signing Paul Pogba, who left as a free agent.
The club also continues to be linked with Lazio ace Sergej Milinkovic-Savic as the Dutch tactician needs another midfielder to replace Nemanja Matic.
Those two may arrive as United legend Cristiano Ronaldo departs, having expressed his desire to play in the Champions League this season.
Most read in Football
And the Red Devils’ latest solution to replace him appears to be none other than 33-year-old former West Ham and Stoke ace Marko Arnautovic .
United fans are infuriated with the hierarchy’s transfer business following the club’s worst ever Premier League campaign.
Some feel the club is so doomed that relegation is now on the cards.
One fan tweeted: “There's never been a club this badly run. In 5 years we'll be bankrupt and in the Championship.”
Another posted: “[United] are more likely to get relegated than to win another championship under the glazers.
A third commented: “Replacing "Toxic" players with more toxic players ffs…#mufc going to championship soon.”
This supporter said: “Arnautovic & Rabiot are the signings I expect #mufc to make. Out of nowhere, looking desperate, & cheap. They could work tho, but this club is ran by clowns. Absolutely s******w.”
That one added: “Marko Arnautovic to #MUFC better be some kind of joke.”
Finally, this fan stated: “Wtf is going? Rabiot? The club might actually be finished.”
While it might be too early to condemn the Reds to the Championship, SunSport had a look at how United might line up if they headed back to England’s second tier for the first time since the early 1970s.
Rabaiot, Arnautovic and Milinkovic-Savic are all there… but a certain No7 appears to be long gone.
- Man Utd chief Ed Woodward working on two transfers - but there's a Bruno Fernandes twist
- Cristiano Ronaldo's comments leave Man Utd transfer door ajar
- Five best Premier League opening games including Liverpool thriller and Man Utd upset
- Ten biggest transfers that could happen this summer like Haaland to Chelsea, Kane to Man City and Ronaldo to PSG
- Manchester United make definitive Anthony Martial transfer decision as Amad stance emerges
- Tottenham respond to Manchester United after 'feelers put out' over Harry Kane transfer
- One signing every Premier League club could make in final week of summer transfer window
- Harry Kane to Man City transfer saga 'hurting' Tottenham star as City told to pay up
- Liverpool 'close in on £52m double transfer swoop' that will please Reds boss Jurgen Klopp
- Arsenal handed welcome Tammy Abraham boost as rivals pull out of Chelsea transfer battle
- Liverpool and Tottenham suffer transfer blow because of Lionel Messi's Barcelona exit
- James Rodriguez wanted by Newcastle with Everton outcast seeking transfer to end his Goodison Park hell
- Leicester 1 Man City 0: Kelechi Iheanacho comes back to haunt former team with last-gasp penalty in Community Shield
- January transfer window 2021: The biggest moves that could still happen
- Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Conte LATEST, Xhaka NEW contract, Lautaro Martinez BID, Aubameyang and Lacazette to Barca
- Eric Bailly stat shows Manchester United boss Solskjaer must not change transfer plan
- Aston Villa offer fans chance to swap Jack Grealish shirts and reveal who has replaced Man City star as new No10
- Jose Mourinho trying to please Tottenham fans and it's not working, says Jamie Redknapp
- Chris Wilder: The man who made Sheffield United fans fall in love again
- Manchester United ‘have provisions’ for third significant signing after Varane and Sancho
How Man Utd could line up this season with Mauro Arnautovic, Milinkovic-Savic and Rabiot as fans slam shock transfers have 840 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 9, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.