Former President Donald Trump declined to answer questions from the New York attorney general, then slammed her efforts to 'get and destroy' him and said he 'did nothing wrong'.
Trump, who faced questioning under oath in a civil investigation into his business practices, on Wednesday morning pleaded the Fifth. In doing so, he exercised a right guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution to refuse to answer questions in order to avoid incriminating himself.
In a lengthy statement shared on his Truth Social platform , Trump attacked the woman behind the probe.
'Attorney General Letitia James openly campaigned on the policy of "Get and Destroy Trump,"' he stated. 'This political attack on me, my family and my great company is her despicable attempt to fulfill that cynical, and very corrupt promise.'
Trump added that James' investigation over the course of three years 'is a disgrace to the legal system', state taxpayers and 'a violation of the solemn rights and protections afforded by the United States Constitution'.
'Under the advice of my counsel,' Trump stated on his Truth Social platform on Wednesday morning, 'I declined to answer the questions under the rights and privileges afforded to every citizen under the United States Constitution.'
Trump said he was once asked why he was taking the Fifth if he was innocent, and that he now knows the answer to that question.
'When your family, your company, and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors, and the Fake News Media, you have no choice,' he stated.
He tied in the FBI raid on his Mar-a-Lago home , which took place two days before his deposition. Agents were reportedly looking for missing unclassified material.
'If there was any question in my mind, the raid on my home, Mar-a-Lago, on Monday by the FBI, just two days prior to this deposition, wiped out any uncertainty,' Trump stated.
'I have absolutely no choice because the current Administration and many prosecutors in tis Country have lost all moral and ethical bounds of decency.'
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .
For more stories like this, check our news page .
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- One big, fat, ugly bubble is about to burst… and Donald Trump will be wrongly blamed for it
- Historian MICHAEL BURLEIGH exposes the secret war blueprint Donald Trump's Iran-hating adviser hopes will set the Middle East ablaze
- Donald Trump: Joe Biden Family ‘Paid Off’ by China and Ukraine
- Gloria Steinem Wants a 'Mass Uprising' if Donald Trump Is Elected President
- The Real Truth about Donald Trump’s Hair
- Psychiatrist Debates On Donald Trump's Mental Health
- Donald Trump Reportedly Screamed at Sean Spicer For Wearing the Wrong Suit
- Chris Christie Endorses Donald Trump For President
- Stephen Colbert Reacts To Donald Trump's Refusal To Accept Election Result
- Donald Trump On 60 Minutes: Wants To Reunite Divided America
- Why Did Donald Trump Celebrate Cinco De Mayo By Eating A Taco Bowl?
- Donald Trump’s Meeting With The New York Times Rescheduled After Cancellation
- Jimmy Fallon's Donald Trump Explains That First Is The Worst, Second Is The Best
- Badass Senator Elizabeth Warren Went After Donald Trump in an Epic Twitter Rant
- John Oliver Bought Commercials On Morning Show TV To Educate Donald Trump
- Pepe the Frog and Apple's political bias against Donald Trump
- There's Nothing Funny Anymore About Donald Trump's Candidacy
- John Oliver Rips Apart Donald Trump's Mexico Wall
- Rogue Accounts Emerge On Twitter To Fight Donald Trump On Climate Change
- Donald Trump To Reconsider The Renovation Of Atlantic City
Donald Trump insists ‘I did nothing wrong’ and there’s a mission to ‘get and destroy’ him have 625 words, post on metro.co.uk at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.