A FOURTH of July optical illusion has left viewers a little confused and sparked debate among social media users.
The illusion, which was shared on Reddit, shows a variation of an American flag.
However, something appears unusual with the flag as the vertical lines look to be slanted.
Additionally the red and white boxes, which make up the flag’s stripes, are scattered in a way that could make someone’s eyes feel confused.
Reddit user FoxyJnr987 titled the thread: ” Flag of United States but it’s that weird optical illusion.”
The Redditor simply shared the illusion, a digital image of the American flag, but didn’t offer more details until another user questioned: “What’s the illusion.”
FoxyJnr987 then explained that the flag photo was a “Cafe Wall Illusion.”
“I rotated it so it looks like stripes and made the black squares red instead,” FoxyJnr987 said.
“The grey lines that are running vertically look sloped when they are actually straight. It looks better when horizontal.”
According to Brain Connection , a Cafe Wall Illusion teases the brain to think the lines in the image are not parallel, when in fact they are.
Most read in The Sun
“It is thought that the café wall illusion functions due to the high contrast in the two different ‘bricks.’
“When interpreting images, our brains tend to ‘spread’ dark zones into light zones, a function known as irradiation; this ‘movement’ is probably what causes a false warping effect.”
Meanwhile, other users didn’t see anything wrong with the image.
One person commented: “All the lines in the flag are standing straight, they aren’t diagonal.”
“Thank you for worsening my eyesight,” another wrote.
A third user wrote: “They dont look diagonal to me, is my brain broken?”
Meanwhile, you could be in the top 0.1 percent if you manage to spot all seven differences in this brain-frazzling puzzle in less than one minute.
And if you can't find the odd sofa in this brainteaser within 30 seconds then you're not alone – but three in five people can beat you.
- Every NBA Team's Weakest Link Heading into the Draft and Free Agency
- What is patriotism? How NFL rule on flag, anthem puts football in the middle of a divided America.
- Fishing report for week of July 25-31
- Fishing report for week of July 18-24
- Pac-12 Networks distribution chief Alden Budill on the sports ‘beachhead,’ the expanding media day, why she left Oprah and more
- Bishop Gorman’s Zaon Collins earns stripes with Vegas Elite
- Tottenham star Son Heung-min is trying to play his way out of Korea’s mandatory military service
- Mellinger Minutes: Should Chiefs’ Hill go deep every time? Plus Royals, Sporting KC
- 5 up, 5 down: Is LeBron going to the Lakers wack, meaningless, or great?
- World Cup 2018: Our top 50 moments
- 1997 McLaren F1, Bertone Mantide, Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16M, 2008 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti – Supercars Across America
- Best Player Every Team Could Add in NBA Free Agency
- Eoin Morgan and Chris Woakes spur England to victory in stormy Sri Lanka as Olly Stone impresses
- Seven balls is all it takes for Olly Stone to make an impact as England beat Sri Lanka and the monsoon rain
- Eoin Morgan and Chris Woakes spur England to victory in stormy Sri Lanka
- Diaries of a race driver on a meagre budget Pt2: the races
- Analysis: College basketball wakes up to the Duke takeover
- 1979 Datsun 280-ZX
- BMW M3 (E36) long-term test review
- FMIA Week 2: Players Make Plays, and Patrick Mahomes Has Made a Perfect 10 For The High-Flying Chiefs
July 4 US flag optical illusion has left viewers scratching their heads – which way do you see the stripes going? have 690 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at July 2, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.