John Cleese clashes with BBC World News interviewer
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
John Cleese, 82, has taken to Twitter to admit he declined the peerage he was once offered. The Monty Python star sarcastically said he regretted the decision.
The actor posted the tweet out in full view of his 5.7 million followers.
He said he had never previously regretted turning down the peerage – a decision he made because of the British weather.
John said: "Until now I have never regretted declining the peerage I was offered.
"But today I’m sad I didn’t accept it.
John Cleese was once offered a peerage (Image: GETTY)
John Cleese said he regretted turning down the peerage (Image: GETTY)
John said he wished he had accepted the peerage, so that he could then return it if Dacre received one.
Rumours surfaced earlier today that he is due to receive a peerage from Boris Johnson.
Fans were quick to jump on to the post and share their thoughts.
@ThallonW commented: "Is that a news bombshell, @JohnCleese ?
John Cleese was a member of Monty Python comedy group (Image: GETTY)
John Cleese was offered the peerage by Lord Ashdown (Image: GETTY)
"Until now, I thought I knew everything about you."
@Helikesbananas said: "If only I knew what peerage was/is.
"It's too late in the evening to Google it. Sorry you feel sad. Hugs."
@Palcongo wrote: "Of course, there's no way to fact check this claim."
Catherine Zeta-Jones causes a stir over being ‘serenaded’ by Bono (PHOTOS) Richard Osman breaks silence on replacing Anne Robinson on Countdown (NEWS) Amber Heard ‘cleaned up’ after Johnny Depp 'lost control of his bowels ( LATEST)
In response, @OediBaby said: "If John Marwood Cleese says it, it’s a fact!"
In UK democracy, a peerage is awarded by the Prime Minister with the Queen's approval and the selected person is entered into the House of Lords.
John turned down the peerage in 1999 and joked that he didn't want to accept the offer as it would mean spending winters in England, he told The Mirror in 2011.
The Fawlty Towers star divides his time between England and sunny California.
The actor is a generous donor to the Liberal Democrats and has appeared in several party political broadcasts.
He declined the offer for a peerage shortly before Ashdown quit as leader in 1999.
John said: "I turned down a peerage actually.
"Paddy was going to offer me one when he ceased to be leader of the Lib Dems, for political services – not because I was a wonderful human being but because I'd helped them a lot.
"But I realised this involved being in England in the winter and I thought that was too much of a price to pay."
He also says he turned down a CBE in 1996 "because I think they are silly".
- Woman, 21, reveals her 'calculating' rapist dad only admitted to abusing her from the age of seven because he would 'rather go to prison than die alone' - and says he SMILED as he was sentenced
- John McCain Regrets His Palin Pick for the Wrong Reasons
- Chief Justice John Roberts prepares to take the stage for impeachment trial
- Three senior Tories in PM race admit taking drugs — just hours after Michael Gove’s cocaine confession
- Impeachment will sideline some 2020 candidates at exactly the wrong time
- ‘No Time to Die’: A Rare In-Depth Interview With the Keepers of James Bond
- Monday briefing: Harry's 'great sadness' at stepping away
- Column: Do women regret their abortions? Absolutely not!
- Hillary Clinton in Full: A Fiery New Documentary, Trump Regrets and Harsh Words for Bernie: "Nobody Likes Him"
- Martin Amis on why he regrets that 500k advance for The Information, 'foolish' feuds – and his surname
- Jess Phillips QUITS Labour leadership admitting she 'cannot unite the party' as contest becomes 'three horse race' after GMB union backs Lisa Nandy
- 'I don't have anything to lose anymore': Louise Redknapp stuns in sizzling photoshoot as she reveals new album details the 'sadness' and 'anxiety' she's felt in relationships
- Obsessively taming the Wild West: How the quest to 100% Red Dead Redemption 2 became a full-time job
- 'Out of nowhere I felt really sad': readers on how they felt at 47
- McConnell, Schumer note magnitude of impeachment trial: The Senate’s time is at hand
- Democrats turn their fire on Donald Trump: Debating 2020 candidates ignore each other's records to slam president as a LIAR over Iran
- turns 30, the most perfect B movie creature feature ever made
- Surprise! Senate Must Vote To Admit House Evidence In Impeachment Trial
- Michael Palin: ‘The world is an absurd and silly place’
- LCD Soundsystem’s ‘Sound of Silver’: 10 Things You Didn’t Know
'Sad I didn't accept' John Cleese admits regretting turning down peerage for first time have 962 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 22, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.