PRINCE Charles had a “very emotional” meeting with grandchildren Lilibet and Archie when the Sussexes returned to the UK, a royal source says.
The heir and wife Camilla are said to have been “absolutely thrilled” to spend time with Harry, Meghan and their children during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
The family kept a low profile during their return and enjoyed a private party at Frogmore Cottage for Lilibet’s first birthday.
Harry, who quit as a senior working royal in 2020, has previously had a troubled relationship with Charles.
But a senior royal source, speaking at the briefing of Clarence House’s annual review, said it had been “wonderful” to have the Sussexes back in the country.
“It was fantastic to see them. It was wonderful to have them back in Britain,” the source said.
“The prince and the duchess were absolutely thrilled to see them.
“The prince, of course, hasn’t seen his grandson Archie for a bit of time and so it was very, very, very special to have some time with him.
“He hadn’t met Lili, his granddaughter, and so to meet her was very emotional, a very, very wonderful thing.”
Most read in Fabulous
It’s understood Charles had previously told the family they were welcome to stay with him anytime they returned to the UK.
Lili also met her namesake great-grandmother, the Queen, for the first time during the Jubilee.
However, it’s understood Her Majesty turned down Harry and Meghan’s request for a photographer to document the meeting – in case the pictures appeared in the media.
The royal source said of the Sussexes’ financial independence: “Great credit to them.
“They said they wanted to transition to financial independence and that has now been achieved.”
Harry and Meghan secured multimillion-pound deals with Netflix and Spotify after moving to the US.
It was revealed in May that they’re due to film a Keeping Up With The Kardashians-style docu-series at their mansion in exclusive Montecito, California.
The couple appeared publicly at one Jubilee event – the service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s.
During the service, they were seated across the aisle from Charles, Camilla, William and Kate.
They did not join a VIP reception afterwards, instead making a sharp exit and heading back to Windsor.
Charles and Camilla were absolutely thrilled… it was a very, very wonderful thing
The royal source spoke as the Charles’ financial expenditure for the year was revealed.
The Prince of Wales’ bill covering activities for William, Harry and their families – as well as other costs – dropped by £1.2million over two years.
The Sussexes are no longer listed on the accounts.
The amount fell from £5.61m in 2019-20 – when the Sussexes were still working royals – to £4.38m in 2021-22.
Charles is no longer funding the couple.
It has not been detailed what proportion of the drop is related to the Sussexes.
Charles had carried on supporting the duke and duchess with a “substantial sum” until summer 2020 following Megxit, despite Harry claiming his family “literally cut me off financially”.
- World Mental Health Day – Behind the scenes on Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, Kate and William’s Every Mind Matters video
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry take baby Archie to visit Archbishop Desmond Tutu on royal tour day three
- Meghan Markle's dad must never be in Archie's life, says his ex-wife
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle might be happier if they give up public life and become Mr and Mrs Windsor
- The picture that proves Meghan Markle still doesn’t get it
- Meghan Markle More Influential Than Ever, Has Powerful Sway Over Prince Harry: 'She Holds All the Cards Actually'
- Christening decision Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will regret
- ‘Modern day royalty’: Photo that proves Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have made a big mistake
- One's furry friends! New Buckingham Palace exhibition showcases the royal family's love of animals - from the Queen's corgis to Meghan Markle's passion for rescue dogs
- Unseen Meghan Markle Pictures Shared by Former 'Suits' Co-Star Patrick J. Adams to Mark Series' End
- What did Sky News reporter Rhiannon Mills say to Prince Harry?
- The royal family's travel secrets – 13 rules Meghan Markle, Kate Middleton & more follow
- Meghan opens up about Archie beginning to crawl as she surprises military families
- Baby Archie makes first appearance in the official royal diary — but Meghan and Harry hide godparents’ names
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle aren’t celebrities — celebs pay their own bills
- Meghan, Harry and Archie to spend Thanksgiving in US with gran Doria before Christmas with the Queen in six-week holiday
- 'Danny Baker must be so proud he's royal baby Archie's first troll with racist tweet'
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle encourage fans to support cause close to their hearts
- The Markles and the Middletons: A closer look at the ‘almost royal’ families
- How old is Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, when did she and Prince Andrew divorce and who are daughters Beatrice and Eugenie?
Prince Charles had ‘very emotional’ meeting with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s children Lilbet and Archie have 980 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 29, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.