Hamilton suffered a puncture after a collision with Haas driver Kavin Magnussen and he told his team he wanted to bow out of the race. But Mercedes asked him to carry on and the British driver managed to finish the race in fifth.
"Lewis' contact with Kevin Magnussen on the opening lap surely cost him a chance of a spectacular result," pundit Brundle wrote for Sky Sports . "He was 50 seconds behind the leader on lap two and 54 seconds at the end despite backing off by four seconds on the final tour.
"Lewis's radio call-in after falling to the back of the field with a puncture, basically wanting to stop and 'save the power unit mileage', was alarming in that it gave us the true picture of how little he's been enjoying this season. Presumably 65 laps later he was somewhat more satisfied after showing great pace."
Hamilton has struggled this season with just one podium finish for the star coming in the first race of the season. He was targeting a record eighth world title but that seems out of reach as he is 64 points behind leader Max Verstappen .
But the British star is feeling more positive after his result last Sunday, saying: "We've made a lot of improvements with the car.
"The race pace is much, much better… the car is much nicer in the race. This is a great sign we're going in the right direction. Without [my start], I would have been fighting the Red Bulls. That gives me great hope that at some stage we'll be fighting for the win."
Hamilton's teammate George Russell was in teh mix to take the Spanish Grand Prix before Verstappen overtook him. Russell is the stronger Mercedes driver so far this season and Brundle added it was thrilling to watch his first battle with Verstappen.
"It was fascinating to witness his first proper wheel-to-wheel battle with Russell who was defending robustly but fairly, and very well," he said. "I happened across the race stewards on Sunday evening and they were of the same opinion that George was pushing the boundaries but not breaking the rules.
"And his run back past Max between the very short turns one and two will be played out for a good while."
- Sebastian Vettel is happy being Formula One’s Mr Boring as he rivals Lewis Hamilton for fifth F1 title
- Lewis Hamilton reveals the reason why he is closing in on his fifth Formula One title
- Lewis Hamilton praises Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas as he heads into F1 summer break with largest advantage in five-years
- Lewis Hamilton threatens to QUIT F1 if plans for supersized 25-race season go through
- Lewis Hamilton warns rival Sebastian Vettel he will not crack under pressure of F1 title fight
- How Lewis Hamilton can win hundreds of Mercedes employees an incredible £9million bonus in Brazil Grand Prix this weekend
- Lewis Hamilton hungrier than ever to win world title as he revs up for French Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton wins the French Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton given green light by Mercedes boss Toto Wolff to continue social media rants
- Why Lewis Hamilton should not be too disheartened after a gutting British Grand Prix
- British Grand Prix: Sebastian Vettel wins as Lewis Hamilton’s incredible comeback falls just short
- Lewis Hamilton blasts SkyF1 pundits for ‘undermining’ him after superb German GP win
- Lewis Hamilton Making Mercedes 'Sweat A Bit,' Damon Hill Says
- Lewis Hamilton’s fifth world title defies logic that an elite athlete and a jet-setting party lifestyle don’t mix
- Lewis Hamilton to blame for breaking car in German GP qualifying, claims former Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg
- Lewis Hamilton Defends Sebastian Vettel Over French GP Crash With Valtteri Bottas
- Lewis Hamilton wants Silverstone screen test in case camera lights too bright
- Lewis Hamilton extends Mercedes contract with incredible £40m-a-year deal
- Mexico GP qualifying: Lewis Hamilton pips Sebastian Vettel to third as Daniel Ricciardo takes pole
- Valtteri Bottas follows Mercedes team orders to give Lewis Hamilton Russian GP win and increase championship lead
Lewis Hamilton radio call gives ‘alarming true picture’ of Mercedes star’s feelings have 758 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 24, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.