A DIVER who was attacked by a huge shark has revealed how he blew oxygen bubbles in the beast's face to drive it off.
Bailey Haffner was in diving gear as he cleaned a boat near the Royal Perth Yacht Club in Western Australia at around 10am when the drama unfolded.
The 20-year-old suddenly felt a big bump and was knocked away from the boat into open water.
At first he didn't know what happened but then turned around and saw a shark.
"This shark has come up basically on top of me on my right-hand side and he's pushed down and sort of done a turn to kick me off the hull of the boat," he told 7NEWS.
"It was more shock, I didn't really work out what had happened.
"It was quite a forceful thump and you could feel how thick it was, it was a lot of meat in it."
Bailey estimated the bull shark was about 12ft in length with a two foot thick neck.
But as he feared the worst, quick thinking Bailey pulled off his mask tried to scare the shark away with air bubbles.
Most read in News
"You wear a regulator scuba diving, so I've taken that out of my mouth and held it free flow because sharks hate bubbles, apparently," he said adding: "That must've worked for me."
He said adrenaline got him out of the water and he managed to get up onto the jetty.
"There wasn't too much thinking except get out," he said.
Baily said he has been diving since the age of 10 but has never experienced such a close encounter with a shark before but insisted he will be back to clean his mate's boat.
"I'll be back tomorrow or Saturday," he told Perth Now.
"This time I'm going to bring along my trusty shark shield. I'll probably dangle a spare one off the boat too just to settle my nerves a little."
Earlier this year a Brit diving instructor was mauled to death by a 15ft great white shark just days before safety lines were due to be installed.
Australian authorities said one was set to be placed in the area where Simon Nellist was attacked in just two weeks time.
Simon, 35, was killed by the predator just 150m away from the beach at Buchan Point, near Little Bay in Sydney, in the first fatal attack in nearly 60 years.
The 6ft 5in British expat’s remains were found in the water following the horror ordeal.
- Quick-thinking Railway officials save the day and lives
- Feature: Whistleblower Arizona doctor won't back down in saving lives amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Above-average Joes: Ex-Shark Thornton thanks ex-49er Montana for advice
- 11pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Alaba and Milenkovic approaches, Pogba latest, Moises Caicedo wanted
- Shut the school gates again, Prime Minister, and you will ruin young lives, writes MOLLY KINGSLEY, a mother and campaigner for children's wellbeing
- Nashville mayor believes 'bomber' was 'targeting the AT&T building' in suicide attack amid reports he was paranoid 5G is 'spying on Americans' - as cops reveal RV speakers were playing Petula Clark's 'Downtown' when it exploded
- Demon Sperm to Senator Stocks: 25 Daily Beast Stories That Captured This Absolute Sh*tshow of a Year
- British hangman who sent the Beasts of Belsen to hell: Gripping portrait of the cigar-smoking grocer's book-keeper from Manchester who executed 13 of the most depraved Nazis
- James P. Pinkerton: Donald Trump’s Cure Strategy — Hope for Better Health and Hope for Bigger Savings
- GGG vs Szeremeta LIVE REACTION: Gennady Golovkin ‘open’ to fight Canelo vs Callum Smith winner
- Parma 0 Juventus 4 LIVE REACTION: Cristiano Ronaldo scores brace in thrashing to inch closer to Milan – latest updates
- 'I Was Attacked By An 8ft Alligator in Florida'
- Save Our Stages: How an Industry Hail Mary Became Live Music’s $15 Billion Lifeline
- 10am Chelsea transfer news LIVE: Chilwell injury updates, Declan Rice latest, David Alaba competition, Emerson loan
- Race to roll out the vaccine: Speeding up our Covid-19 jab programme is the only way to beat the mutated virus, experts warn
- 2pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Dybala and Bernardeschi offered for Pogba, Rashford ‘£300k-a-week new deal offer’
- Biden Campaign Deletes Attack Ad Against Buttigieg After Cabinet Nomination
- 6pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Saul Niguez LATEST, Morgan Sanson update, Sheffield United win REACTION
- Canelo vs Smith LIVE REACTION: Smith bicep ‘detaches’ as Alvarez tears Brit apart in brutal 12-round win
- ‘We Saved the Music’: Amy Klobuchar on Getting $10 Billion for Venues Into Stimulus Bill
I was attacked by a 12ft shark but managed to beat off the beast and saved my live with some quick thinking have 913 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 20, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.