LAHORE: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Wednesday announced a schedule for by-elections on 20 Punjab Assembly seats.
The seats fell vacant after the ECP had de-notified the PTI's dissident MPAs who had voted for PML-N's Hamza Shahbaz against their party line in the Punjab chief minister's election on May 23.
By-elections on the 20 vacant seats will be held on July 17, said the ECP.
25 PTI dissident MPs in Punjab de-notified
On May 23, the ECP had formally issued notifications to de-notify 25 dissident MPAs who had voted for PML-N's Hamza Shahbaz against their party’s line in the Punjab chief minister's election.
"The Election Commission of Pakistan hereby de-notify the following members of Provincial Assembly of Punjab from the respective constituencies in terms of Article 63A(4) of the constitution," read the notification.
Punjab Assembly Speaker Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi had sent a reference to the ECP against 25 PTI lawmakers who voted against the party policy in the election for the Punjab chief minister on April 16.
Hamza Shahbaz had got 197 votes as opposed to the required number of 186 in the house of 371 and now after the ECP verdict, the position of the Punjab chief minister is unclear as he has lost the majority in the assembly.
Out of the 25 MPAs disqualified by the ECP, three were elected on the seats reserved for women and two on the seats served for the non-Muslims.
- BJP leader attacks ally LJP, NDA fault lines get revealed over Bihar polls deferment debate
- Dera being targeted for supporting SAD in 2017 assembly polls: Dera panel
- Kanhaiya Kumar to campaign for Bihar assembly polls from August, says CPI leader
- Growing chorus for deferring Bihar polls in view of pandemic
- Dinner with Tejashwi, tea with Manjhi, Cong sues for peace in GA as Bihar assembly polls draw near
- Vandalised statue of a tribal icon triggers BJP-TMC tug of war ahead of Bengal polls
- Elections for 19 Rajya Sabha seats on Friday
- New Ford F-150 is expected to come equipped with an airline-style sleeper seat that reclines all the way back as the company looks to pay off its coronavirus pandemic debts
- LJP president Chirag Paswan, RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav want polls to be postponed in Bihar
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Punjab CM Amarinder Singh urges PM Narendra Modi to tell UGC to reconsider decision to conduct exams
- DAB chief : Very tough campaign in LegCo polls
- Labour's Keir Starmer Most Popular UK Opposition Leader Since Tony Blair, New Poll Reveals
- ICC T20 World Cup 2020: Glimmer of hope as Australia announce opening up of stadiums
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: CBS poll - Biden leads among women in Florida, Arizona and Texas
- Will BSP dent Cong prospects in by-polls?
- Himachal panchayats to go to polls in Nov-Dec: Minister
- Chirag joins Tejaswhi’s call for putting off Bihar polls
- Defer Bihar poll, says Pappu Yadav
- RS poll: Congress moves Gujarat MLAs to resorts
- Holding Bihar polls during pandemic may put people at risk: LJP
ECP announces schedule for by-polls on 20 Punjab Assembly seats have 478 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at May 25, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.