The tension is overwhelming in villages near the frontline of Russia’s war in Ukraine, reports Euronews’ international correspondent Anelise Borges .
Ukrainian troops have tell her that shelling around Kherson in the south is constant and indiscriminate.
One soldier, showing Euronews around a school bombed earlier in the conflict, alleges Russian troops are using cluster bombs, which are banned under an international treaty.
In Sevchenkove, on the road between Kherson and Mykolaiv, some locals say they are staying behind to protect what is left of their homes and country.
“What can I tell you?” asks Svetlana. “We built these houses with our own hands. To leave this is very hard for us. Very hard.
“We don't want this war,” she adds, beginning to cry. “We want to live in peace.”
Elsewhere in the village, Liubna and her husband Leonid have been spending every night in their dark damp basement.
They have stockpiled jars of pickled vegetables to sustain themselves.
“We are confident and stubborn people and we are waiting for them (the Russians) to be kicked out,” said Liubna. “This is my house. I don't want to give it to them.”
Watch Anelise Borges’ full report in the video player, above .
- Iran to supply Russia with car parts, fuel turbines amid gas crisis in Ukraine
- EU humiliated as Orban stands firm on Russia oil ban after demanding £15billion support
- Russia-Ukraine crisis updates | April 21, 2022
- Russia-Ukraine crisis updates | April 26, 2022
- Crisis in Ukraine: Biden promises Zelenskyy 'swift and decisive' response in case of attack
- We will fight, says Volodymyr Zelensky as Russian begins offensive in eastern Ukraine
- Ukraine LIVE: Putin hammer blow as Yeltsin's son-in-law QUITS Kremlin – war backlash grows
- Amid war in Ukraine, are Estonia's Russian speakers ready to embrace the West?
- Why the West Needs to End the War in Ukraine Soon
- Ukraine war: World leaders urge Moscow to declare ceasefire for Orthodox Easter
- Ukraine War: Pentagon details Phoenix Ghost drones sent to Ukraine
- Ukraine: Separatists claim to have control of key Donbas town — as it happened
- Biden warns Putin of ‘swift and severe costs’ as Russia plans to ‘invade Ukraine on WEDNESDAY’ and Brits told leave now
- Ukraine LIVE: Russia uses long-range missiles to destroy weapons shipment from UK and EU
- Russia-Ukraine crisis live updates | EU makes eleventh-hour push to agree on Russia oil sanctions
- Ukraine: Separatists claim to have control of key Donbas town — live updates
- Ukraine war: Russian army continues Kyiv assault as Germany sends weapons
- Ukraine News: 987 Children Born in Kyiv Since Invasion Started
- Ukraine: Putin humiliated as close ally 'cuffed and dressed up' after trying to flee
Defiant locals stand firm amid Russian onslaught in southern Ukraine have 420 words, post on www.euronews.com at May 18, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.