LOS ANGELES — Baseball great Alex Rodriguez is taking a swing at mixed martial arts as an investor and board member for the Professional Fighters League.
The PFL announced the addition of the former New York Yankees superstar to its board of directors Thursday.
Rodriguez’s investment is part of what the PFL says is $30 million in new funding to back its global expansion and the establishment of a pay-per-view superfight division. The funding round was led by Waverley Capital, investor Edgar Bronfman Jr.’s media-focused venture capital fund.
The PFL didn’t disclose the size of the investment made by Rodriguez, who made more than $450 million during a playing career that ended in 2016. He has since worked extensively on numerous media platforms, including as an ESPN baseball analyst, and he is a prolific investor.
Rodriguez has a minority ownership stake in the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves and the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx along with partner Marc Lore. His corporation has made investments in dozens of companies, including the UFC Gym personal fitness arm of the UFC.
“I love the global reach of MMA,” Rodriguez said in a statement. “The PFL continues to build and innovate for fans, media and fighters, and there is massive demand in the marketplace.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Nasdaq asks firms why they do not have women and LGBT directors on board, seeks US approval for diversity rule
- Disney+ Programming: Here’s What Was Announced Or Confirmed For Streamer During Disney Investor Day
- Flipkart partially spins off PhonePe, Binny Bansal to join board of fintech company
- Newsom Names Bay Area Air Quality Expert to Chair State’s Air Board
- The Real Facebook Oversight Board’ launches. Why an external team is building it?
- Pischetsrieder tapped to chair Daimler supervisory board from 2021
- Nasdaq to Corporate America: Make your boards more diverse or get out
- SoftBank slashes its board membership as firm returns to profit
- Lewandowski, Bossie added to Pentagon advisory board after latest purge
- Report: Hampton Creek loses its entire board except for the CEO
- Vietnam, Canada join efforts to effectively exploit CPTPP post-COVID-19
- Nasdaq seeks mandatory board diversity for listed companies
- Starbucks names mutual fund executive Mellody Hobson as chair of coffee giant's board
- PACT Appoints Chair & Board; 42 COO Hire; Macao Winners; Canneseries Dates — Global Briefs
- AMC Networks Names Nicholas Seibert Head Of Investor Relations As Seth Zaslow To Step Down At Year End
- Nasdaq Requirements Erase Women, Requires Companies to Hire Director Who ‘Self-Identifies as Female’
- The complete list of all Marvel, ‘Star Wars’, other projects Disney announced on Investor Day
- Nasdaq asks SEC for authority to require more diversity on boards of listed companies
- Community: Quota Baton Rouge installs new board of directors
- Every Marvel Movie And TV Show Announced During Disney's Investor Call
Alex Rodriguez joins PFL as investor, board of directors member have 447 words, post on abcnews.go.com at May 19, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.