Neymar led Paris Saint-Germain’s title celebrations, but fans of the French champions have stayed away as their protest against the club continues.
PSG made sure of the title over the weekend , but their success came in less-than-convincing circumstances. Lionel Messi gave Mauricio Pochettino’s side the lead against 10-man Lens at the Parc des Princes, but their depleted opponents still found an equaliser to ensure the spoils were shared on Saturday night.
The game was notable for boos directed at Pochettino before kick-off, with reports suggesting the manager could still be sacked despite the title win. Supporters walked out in protest despite PSG reclaiming the Ligue 1 title – having finished runners-up behind Lille in 2021 – but the players still had time to celebrate.
It was a fourth Ligue 1 title for Neymar since his world record move from Barcelona in 2017, though the Brazilian missed a chunk of the season through injury. The 30-year-old has just 11 goals in all competitions this term, his lowest PSG return, but he was spotted taking the microphone and singing on stage to mark the occasion.
The title was PSG’s 10th, bringing them level with Saint-Etienne in the all-time standings. It was sealed with four games to spare, with closest challengers Marseille some 13 points behind despite picking up a win of their own at Reims on Sunday night.
Despite fans not being too keen to celebrate their success, a host of players still took the opportunity to make the most of their moment of glory. An Instagram story shared by Neymar showed several of the title-winning squad enjoying their victory, with Marquinhos and Idrissa Gueye also among the group. However, Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi appeared notably absent from the celebration photos shared on social media.
Back in February, PSG’s supporters had held another notable protest ahead of a game against Rennes. Ultras left their seats empty for the first 25 minutes of the game, while banners were unfurled referring to the players as “overpaid mercenaries”.
Pochettino opted to take aim at some of the club’s fans after they made clear their feelings on Messi as Les Parisiens celebrated the title. Messi and Neymar had previously been booed by supporters after PSG’s Champions League elimination at the hands of Real Madrid .
“The whistles against Messi? It’s unbelievable,” Pochettino told ESPN Argentina. “These are hard things to accept.
“A difficult situation to imagine and which cannot be understood in my opinion. All the more so with the greatness of Messi, what he gives and will continue to give to football.”
The manager was speaking amid continued uncertainty over where he will be managing next season. He won’t be at Manchester United , with the Premier League club opting to appoint Erik ten Hag, but might not be at PSG either with reports suggesting Antonio Conte could move to the French capital .
- PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino aware of Lionel Messi availability as he speaks out
- PSG Appear Most Likely Destination For Lionel Messi As Manchester City Close Door On Move | Football News
- Lionel Messi ‘offered Neymar’s shirt number by PSG’ as Barcelona saga takes new turn
- Barcelona decide Neymar transfer timeline as Lionel Messi 'expects big signing'
- Neymar’s tears over Barcelona transfer as PSG star ‘considers Lionel Messi reunion'
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi wants exit for three reasons in major Ronald Koeman blow
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi raging after Ronald Koeman chat details leak out
- Neymar’s cheeky Instagram activity shows how much he wants Lionel Messi to join PSG
- PSG offered Lionel Messi ‘everything money could buy’ in free transfer approach with Neymar wanting to play with ‘idol’
- Barcelona players feel ‘shy and weak’ next to Lionel Messi after Bayern Munich loss
- Kylian Mbappe transfer 'inevitable' if Lionel Messi joins PSG this summer
- Devastated Barcelona fans gather outside Nou Camp after Lionel Messi exit confirmed
- Barcelona sense 'strange feeling' with Lionel Messi amid Man City transfer interest
- How Chelsea could line up with Lionel Messi amid ‘interest’ - plus three more signings
- Lionel Messi transfer odds – PSG lead Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea after Barcelona announcement, Rangers & Celtic 150/1
- Where might Lionel Messi play next after leaving Barcelona?
- Barcelona legend Carles Puyol sends emotional message to Lionel Messi as he leaves the club
- Lionel Messi is leaving FC Barcelona, Spanish soccer club says
- FC Barcelona Want To Announce New Lionel Messi Contract Tomorrow
- THIS Lionel Messi photograph breaks record on Instagram, trumps even Cristiano Ronaldo
Inside PSG's private title celebrations led by Neymar as Lionel Messi nowhere to be seen have 749 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at April 25, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.