Sydney Peterson capped her inaugural Paralympics by helping the U.S. team win a gold medal in a mixed relay race.
Jason Addy , Patch Staff
STILLWATER, MN — Stillwater Area High School graduate Sydney Peterson will return to the U.S. with a medal of each color after her stellar performances at the 2022 Winter Paralympics in Beijing.
Peterson, who graduated in 2020, launched her Paralympics on March 6 with a silver medal in her debut — a long-distance cross-country race — before earning a bronze medal in the women’s spring free standing race.
She capped her inaugural Paralympics by helping the U.S. team win a gold medal in the mixed 4×2.5-kilometer relay race, its first-ever gold medal in a mixed relay. Peterson raced with Oksana Masters, Dan Cnossen, and Jake Adicoff and guide Sam Wood.
Peterson, 20, of Lake Elmo, told the Team USA website that it was “so much better being a part of a team” and thanked everyone who helped them to the top of the podium.
“There were five of us out there today, and I think all of us had great races,” Peterson told Team USA.
The U.S. Paralympics team finished with 20 medals: six gold, 11 silver and three bronze. China finished in first with 61 medals, including 18 golds, while Ukraine finished in second place with 29 medals, including 11 golds.
The rules of replying:
- Be respectful.
- Be transparent.
- Keep it local and relevant.
- Review the Patch Community Guidelines.
- Five years on: Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics preparations full speed ahead
- Paralympic hopes become secondary for the only woman on the ice
- Paralympic snowboarder designs innovative gear _ for rivals
- Feature: Beijing 2022 racing towards green Games
- After 1,192 days, Brazil mega-event run ends at Paralympics
- Meet the Paralympic swimmer changing perceptions of disability
- Xinhua Headlines: Five years on from Beijing 2022 bid, Games already leaving legacy
- Heat! What heat? Tokyo Olympics would have been on cool side
- LSU offers five-star Gentry Williams
- U.S. Olympic museum to open July 30, honor 1980 team
- Postponed Tokyo Olympics hit 1-year-to-go mark... again
- Postponed Tokyo Olympics hit 1-year-to-go mark -- again
- Figure skating’s Junior Grand Prix season canceled
- P&G extends Olympic sponsorship, focusing on equality drive
- Peacock Counts The Days Until Tokyo Olympics, Launching Dedicated Channel One Year Before Opening Ceremony
- From Zeus to Athens, how the modern Olympics came to be
- In Michael Phelps documentary, Olympians share how system pushed them into mental health issues
- Glenn Close, Megan Mullally, Hilaria Baldwin, and more stars get glam for the SAG Awards
- Australian Olympic sports count cost without Tokyo 2020
- The 40 best movies on Disney+ right now
Stillwater High Grad Wins 3 Medals At 2022 Winter Paralympics have 529 words, post on patch.com at March 15, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.