LONDON: English cricket club Yorkshire announced on Wednesday they had appointed former West Indies all-rounder Ottis Gibson as their new head coach on a three-year deal.
The 52-year-old replaces Andrew Gale, who left the county club along with the rest of the coaching staff in the fallout from a damaging racism scandal.
Pakistan-born former bowler Azeem Rafiq accused Yorkshire of failing to deal adequately with racist abuse he suffered while playing for them and told a parliamentary inquiry that it had ended his career.
Sponsors severed links with the county and they were suspended from staging lucrative international matches at Headingley.
Gibson, who has previously been head coach for the West Indies and South Africa as well as working as a bowling coach for England, is the latest new addition to a much-changed backroom staff at Headingley.
He will officially start work at the end of February, after his involvement with Pakistan Super League side the Multan Sultans comes to an end.
Gibson will report to former England paceman Darren Gough, who has been appointed as interim managing director of cricket.
Club chairman Kamlesh Patel, appointed in November, said: “Ottis’ character and his commitment to buying into the process that we are going through at Yorkshire County Cricket Club shone through in our discussions.
“He is someone that I know will encourage dialogue and help foster a culture of inclusion at the club, as well as supporting and developing the world-class talent we have here and pushing them to the next level.”
Gibson said he was “honoured” to be appointed.
“This is one of the most prestigious roles in English county cricket and I am really looking forward to working with this talented group of players to take the club forward,” he added.
- Annie Zaidi: Solihull Moors Ladies appoint new head coach
- Grassroots football 'rife with racism'
- Ennis-Hill launches coaching course
- Paul Grayson’s ‘perfect’ Yorkshire role
- Lee Crooks appointed Wales RL under-16 head coach
- Roxanne Pallett demands Celebrity Coach Trip is halted after almost VOMITING when Big Narstie farts on board
- Gareth Greenwood named assistant coach at Dewsbury Rams
- Yorkshire: Paul Grayson named batting coach at former county
- Jan Siewert confirmed as new Huddersfield Town head coach
- Dean Hoyle reveals why new head coach Jan Siewert was the right man for Huddersfield Town
- Intensity allied with a cool head earn Steve Patterson captaincy of Yorkshire
- Batley Bulldogs 12 Bradford Bulls 14: Bulls keep the Bulldogs at bay in pulsating Yorkshire Cup final
- In profile: The former Leeds, Huddersfield, Preston, Sunderland and Bradford coach appointed Chesterfield’s assistant manager
- Paul Farbrace: England assistant coach to become Warwickshire sport director
- Samme appointed head coach for Heavy Woollen ARL Under-23s Athens tour
- The tireless efforts of Yorkshire people who make a difference
- Middlesex CCC: New head coach Stuart Law issues rallying cry for success as he says: ‘I want to add steel to our skill’
- Steve Bruce: Sheffield Wednesday appoint new manager
- Councils sue Barclays over £500m loans
- Leeds to get first black Lord Mayor
Yorkshire appoint Ottis Gibson as coach after racism scandal have 484 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at January 19, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.