Met Office: Weekend weather forecast
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The country can expect snow across many Northern regions, including Manchester, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness at the end of the month. Weather forecaster WXCharts has predicted up to 13inches (34cm) of snow in Inverness and other parts of Scotland. Regions north of Manchester can expect up to 4inches (10cm) on January 30.
WXCharts has also shown lows of -13C in parts of Scotland, with other northern parts of the UK plummeting to as low as -6C on January 30.
Senior meteorologist at British Weather Services Jim Dale said that the colder weather is likely to begin on January 25, after a much milder, more “tranquil” period over the coming week.
He stressed that “winter is not over”, as the “coldest parts of the year” are yet to come.
Speaking to Express.co.uk, he said: “As we get towards the end of the month – the coldest on average parts of the year – what we’re seeing is the high pressure pulling away south and west, allowing a north-easterly air stream to come in.
The UK is set to be battered by snow in late January as the coldest part of Winter is yet to come (Image: WXcharts/getty)
WXCharts has predicted up to 13inches (34cm) of snow in Inverness and other parts of Scotland (Image: WXCharts)
“That may well start to bring some snow events towards the latter stages of the month – so that last week of January.
“I’m talking now about the 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th of January.
“That period will be increasingly likely to see snowy events across the Highlands and the Grampians and down that eastern coast.
“So how far that actually comes in, and whether or not we get a proper plunge, depends on a little battle going on – does it end up in Denmark, Germany or does the thrust come across and affect the eastern parts of the UK and down to the London area.
WXCharts has also shown lows of -13C in parts of Scotland on January 30 (Image: WXCharts)
The UK is likely to see fog, mist and ice over the next week (Image: Netweather)
“But I’d say at the moment that winter is not over, make that absolutely clear.
“We’re only halfway through and the coldest part of the year is normally reserved for the end of January and February.
“So there’s plenty to play for. ”
The UK is expected to see milder temperatures and increased cloud cover over the next week but could also see fog, mist and ice, Mr Dale warned.
DON’T MISS: Kate’s brother sells business after it went under with £800k debt [REVEAL] Maxwell no longer fighting to keep names sealed from Giuffre's lawsuit [INSIGHT] Queen strips Prince Andrew of ALL royal and military titles [REPORT]
UK Snow in numbers (Image: Express)
He said: “For the next ten days, we’re still in the same block of predominantly high-pressure domination, which will mean fog, mist and ice – but there will be a lot of cloud around.
“Probably more in these next few days than we’ve seen of late.
“I think that will be a little bit of a downer – so mistiness, fogginess, drab.
“If you get the sunshine and the blue sky it’s a real bonus – that’s the good stuff and it’s favoured the south more than the north.
There is likely to be ‘a lot of cloud around’, the weather forecaster said. (Image: Netweather)
“It’s going to feel grey.
“There will be very little in the way of precipitation, not a lot in the way of rain.”
The Met Office’s five-day forecast for the UK warns that fog will become “quite widespread and perhaps dense, especially for central and eastern parts of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland cloudier and less cold.”
- UK weather forecast – Britain set for 10 more days of sun before SNOW returns in huge storm
- UK weather forecast – Britain set for thunderstorms and heavy showers in a soggy start to the week
- UK weather forecast – Britain to bask in glorious sunshine this weekend before soggy Easter washout
- UK weather forecast – Britain set for 18C scorcher as hot as PORTUGAL on first day of spring – but cold front will return
- UK weather forecast – Britain to FREEZE as thunderstorms batter the UK after last day of February heatwave today
- UK weather forecast – Britain hotter than GREECE as sun blast hots up UK – but SNOW is on the way
- UK weather forecast – Britain to be hotter than Athens today as mercury soars to 17C
- UK weather forecast – Britain to be battered with hail, thunderstorms and snow today
- UK weather forecast – Britain hit by snow and 60mph winds TOMORROW – but bookies slash odds on hottest March ever
- UK weather forecast – Britain to be battered by thunderstorms and lashing rain
- UK weather forecast – Britain to be lashed by thunderstorms and heavy showers in a soggy start to the week
- UK weather forecast – Britain to plunge back into Arctic misery this weekend as temperatures drop by 18C before rain and snow
- UK weather forecast – Britain hotter than ATHENS today as ‘Saharan plume’ scorches Wales in another 18C record breaker
- UK weather forecast – Britain hotter than Madrid this week as 20C Azores scorcher sparks UK sizzler
- UK weather forecast – Britain to be hit by snow and thunderstorms after Storm Freya chaos
- UK weather forecast – Britain will bask in sunshine and highs of 13C today as spring returns
- UK weather forecast – Britain to be soaked by heavy rain today in weekend washout
- UK weather forecast – Warnings over FLOODS and months worth of rain as Storm Hannah thrashes Britain
- UK weather forecast – Met Office warns Storm Hannah to batter Britain with 75mph gales, thunder and torrential rain today
- Monday’s UK weather forecast — Brighter and showery day as Storm Freya moves eastwards
UK weather forecast: Britain to be battered by snow as 'coldest part of winter to come' have 1106 words, post on www.express.co.uk at January 15, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.