Chef Gregory Gourdet made a hard health reset after what he says was a difficult 2020 for him. His weight-loss journey led to a healthy and fresh start for 2022 ahead of his new restaurant opening this spring, he says.
The “Top Chef” season 12 runner-up turned guest judge on the hit culinary competition joined “Good Morning America” Friday to elaborate on the news he first shared on Instagram, revealing a 40-pound weight loss thanks to a combination of power walking and healthy eating.
“Just like so many of us, I gained so much weight during the pandemic between gyms closing, being locked up at home, supporting my restaurants via take-out and I was also recovering from an injury, a knee injury, so I just gained so much weight, I decided enough was enough and in July I decided to press the reset button and get back to health,” Gourdet, 46, explained.
Chef and founder of Kann Restaurant said he began power walking which “really got me going and my body moving and after a few months I was able to run outside again and hit the gym and get back to being myself.”
His advice for others on a health journey, “You just have to keep going and keep persevering.”
“Exercise, count your calories, track your food. When I saw the number on the scale getting lower my clothes started to fit again and actually knee started to feel like myself again,” he said. “Everything just started to feel better. That’s when I knew that everything was working and that inspired me to keep going.”
The three-time James Beard Award semifinalist said that he kept things on track with meals that included a combination of protein and greens.
“I truly went into a great lean protein, high protein diet with lots of low carb vegetables, super low carb. That doesn’t mean it’s not delicious and not satiating. You can eat things like this beautiful roasted chicken skin on, because fat is a fantastic fuel source. Your body actually prefers to run on fat than carbohydrates,” Gourdet said.
He shared a recipe below from his cookbook, “Everyone’s Table,” for a side dish staple: braised collard greens.
Smoky Long-Cooked Greens
“This is a super low carb vegetable — cooked in olive oil, another delicious healthy fat,” he said.
Reprinted with permission from EVERYONE'S TABLE by Gregory Gourdet and JJ Goode. Copyright ©2021 by Gregory Gourdet and JJ Goode. Published by Harper Wave an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Reprinted by permission. Photos credited to Eva Kosmas Flores.
Gourdet added a final piece of advice, “if you want to have a cheat day, don’t be scared — the most important thing is don’t feel guilty about your cheat day. If you want to cheat and have a piece of cake, enjoy time with your friends, enjoy it. Revel in that moment and don’t feel guilty the next day.”
Editor’s note: Some of the reprinted text has been slightly edited.
- DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: I'll help you shed the pounds to beat Covid and make 2021 your healthiest year ever
- Feed your kids lunch for less than a QUID with these easy recipes
- I lost 10st by NOT dieting — here’s how YOU can do it too
- White bread rolls made with flour from CHICKPEAS slashes blood sugar levels by 40% and could stave off type 2 diabetes and obesity, study finds
- Struggling to shift the middle age spread? Creator of diet for people over 40 reveals how three 'light' days a week is the key - and you can still eat curry and fishcakes!
- “It totally changed the way I eat": How this healthy WEIGHT LOSS plan can help you achieve our summer body goals - PLUS easy recipes to try at home!
- Chloe Ferry brushes off backlash amid Dubai trip as she enjoys a night out with Salt Bae before showing off her curves in a slinky green minidress
- 'The whole country will suddenly develop a dry cough': No10 and Treasury slam Matt Hancock's 'bonkers' plan to PAY people who test positive £500 Covid handouts to 'encourage more swabs'... at cost of HALF A BILLION POUNDS A WEEK
- FMIA Divisional Round: Chiefs Prove HenneThing Is Possible, Beat Browns
- Our Relationship With Food Changed In 2020
- Transform your health with our fast 800 way to beat disease: DR MICHAEL MOSLEY and his wife DR CLARE BAILEY launch an indispensable diet series to tackle everything from dementia to type 2 diabetes
- New Zealand's post-lockdown burger boom
- The secret to a happy (fourth) marriage? Move in the in-laws! says Masterchef’s Gregg Wallace: He’s 55, she’s 34 and they met discussing rhubarb on Twitter - now their son's turning one
- Kendall Jenner shows off her supermodel figure in a string bikini as she enjoys a vacation in Mexico with Kylie: 'A new day, a good day!'
- FMIA: Ten For Tom—Brady Heading Back To Another Super Bowl, Bringing Buccaneers To Meet Chiefs In Tampa
- Valerie Bertinelli, 60, worked 'very, very hard' to lose 50lbs for her bikini cover in 2009 but wishes she had paid more attention to her 'mental shape'
- ROSS CLARK: French threats and why we MUST grow British and take control of the food we eat
- The 52 best movies on Netflix right now
- SAG Awards reschedule to April 4 to avoid Grammys clash after BLASTING the Recording Academy for moving their the event to the same date
- New 5% deposit mortgage scheme to help create ‘Generation Buy’, as Boris unveils vision to Build Back Better
'Top Chef' alum Gregory Gourdet shares how he lost 40 pounds, and his collard greens recipe have 900 words, post on abcnews.go.com at January 14, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.