Jurgen Klopp says Diogo Jota has 'turned into a world class striker' since his arrival at Liverpool, which he says has been 'pretty helpful' to their cause.
It was a fine performance from the Portuguese, and especially pleasing for the manager who is having to do without star forwards Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane who are at the Africa Cup of Nations, while Divock Origi is also out injured.
Jota was something of a surprise signing when he arrived from Wolves for just over £40m in September 2020, but he has been a massive hit, with 27 goals in 57 games across all competitions.
Klopp says the club were fully confident in his abilities when they stumped up the cash for Jota, but maybe not that he was going to be such a lethal force as a striker when required, having spent much time on the wing in the past.
'We were completely convinced when he arrived that he will help us massively,' Klopp told Sky Sports of Jota.
'When you watch a player before you sign him, nowadays you can watch 100 games if you want, and we were really confident.
'Since he's here he made another step and he's absolutely helpful. He's just really turned into a world class striker meanwhile, and how's that for us? Pretty helpful.'
Trent Alexnader-Arnold echoed his manager's thoughts, also hailing Jota as a world class talent, saying: 'Diogo's first goal was outstanding from him, the type of player he is. And again the second goal, he has done outstanding again.
'He is a world-class player in possibly the best form he's found himself in at the club so far. Hopefully more goals for him and hopefully we'll be able to get a win in the final.'
For more stories like this, check our sport page .
- Coronavirus concerns rise as Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp warns off fans trying to shake his hand in Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid
- Jurgen Klopp blasts Atletico Madrid for not playing ‘proper football’ after Liverpool dumped out of the Champions League
- ‘Jurgen Klopp is the best man manager in the world right now’
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says Manchester City showing no weakness in title race
- Arsenal target Wolves star Diogo Jota as Mikel Arteta plans summer transfer rebuild
- Jurgen Klopp rips into Spanish journalist after coronavirus inquiry
- Jurgen Klopp questions Atletico Madrid style after Liverpool's Champions League exit
- Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp knows plenty about football, but don’t ask him about coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Liverpool Left To Wait And Wonder With Premier League In Limbo
- Souness urges Chelsea to sign Jan Oblak to replace world record flop Kepa after watching masterclass against Liverpool
- Man Utd fans love 10-year-old supporter who sent Klopp ‘please lose’ letter before Liverpool lost four out of five games
- Liverpool in action despite first Premier League virus postponement
- Liverpool 2-1 Bournemouth: Salah and Mane clinch record-breaking win
- Klopp reacts to end of Liverpool’s UCL reign
- Coronavirus: Liverpool boss Klopp backs Premier League postponement
- No handshakes in EPL but Klopp fist-pumping again after win
- Liverpool could loan star striker back after signing him
- Man Utd icon Gary Neville trolls Liverpool again with shocked selfie after they go behind to Bournemouth
- Werner weighing up Liverpool, Man City or Man Utd moves
- Chelsea 2 Liverpool 0: Willian and Barkley seal spot in FA Cup quarter-final as Reds lose again
Jurgen Klopp hails ‘world class striker’ Diogo Jota after Liverpool down Arsenal have 644 words, post on metro.co.uk at January 21, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.