Some 25 people were injured in total, a police official from the affected area said. Out of those injured, at least 15 people are being treated in hospital, Ganesh Purnaik, a spokesperson for the city government, said.
The fire was likely caused by a short circuit in an air conditioner unit in one of the apartments, Mayor Kishori Pednekar said.
More than 90 people escaped their building either on their own or with assistance from neighbors, residents said.
Column of smoke
Residents said the fire began on the 15th floor of the 20-story building before spreading to the floors above, with black smoke quickly enveloping the building.
The Mumbai Fire Brigade categorized it as a Level 3 (major) fire. Officials said the fire broke out around 7:30 a.m. (0200 UTC) and was brought under control around 10 a.m.
Some of those hospitalized needed oxygen support because they faced breathing difficulties, Mayor Pednekar said.
At least four of those injured were in critical condition, police officer Saurabh Tripathi said.
Fires are common in India, where building laws and safety norms are often flouted by builders and residents.
In May 2021, a fire killed 18 COVID-19 patients at a hospital in a major city in western Gujarat state. In December 2018, a late-night fire in a Mumbai restaurant killed 15 people.
rm/rs (AP, dpa)
- American sentenced to 35 years for 'India's 9/11,' a terrorist attack on Mumbai that killed 160, including children
- India hospital fire kills 89 people, 160 patients were in building at time of blaze
- Fire in Hamilton Heights apartment building kills one person, injures 11; people used fire escape to flee
- B-25 bomber crashes into Empire State Building killing at least 14 people and injuring others in 1945
- Deadly Bronx fire rips through building, kills 71-year-old man and injures 2
- Gunmen attack Indian Consulate in Afghanistan, three assailants killed in gun battle
- U.S. offers $10 million bounty for Hafiz Saeed, founder of Pakistani militant group blamed for Mumbai attacks
- Suicide attackers kill at least 9 Afghans at the Indian consulate near Pakistan border
- 37 dead, 15 injured after packed bus falls off a bridge in western India
- Toddler killed in Oklahoma State University homecoming crash was 'symbol for love and joy,' dad says
- Wild elephants rampage through south India city, killing 1; panicked locals flee in terror (VIDEO)
- Car bomb blast kills 53 at Damascus headquarters of Syria’s ruling party, at least 200 injured
- Detroit man lit himself and apartment building on fire in boneheaded attempt to rid home of bedbugs
- Government airstrikes on rebel areas kill at least 43 in Syria: activists
- Glasgow Clutha Vaults pub tragedy: Police helicopter crash kills 8, hurts 14
- EXCLUSIVE: City Controller John Liu slams weak city Buildings Department for not getting tough enough in investigating firetraps
- Man killed by Toms River cop's gun identified
- West Village guitar shop founder accused of killing girlfriend with knives
- At least 47 dead, 70 injured after residential building being constructed on illegally collapses in India
- India: Pakistan needs to arrest Mumbai attackers
India: Fire at Mumbai building kills several residents have 494 words, post on www.dw.com at January 22, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.