Prince Harry could be the next recipient of the Duke of York title from Prince Andrew.
According to constitutional expert Iain MacMarthanne, Prince Andrew, who has two daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, cannot pass down his dukedom to his children as it can only be transferred between men.
The Duke of York title is traditionally held by the second son of the sovereign which in this case would be Prince Harry once Prince Charles ascends the throne.
“Without a son, and by the terms of the letters patent under which the dukedom of York was again created in 1986, the death of the present duke will see the title merge with the crown,” Ian told Express .
“Historically it is a title that has been granted to the second son of the sovereign.
“Arguably, with Charles' accession, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex becomes the sovereign’s second son and could under the custom become the next Duke of York in addition to being duke of Sussex.
“The fashion for creating multiple dukedoms, such as during the reign of Victoria has, however, died out.
“Additionally, the custom of new creations has invariably become linked with marriage and as that has already occurred, together with his withdrawal from front line royal duties, his creation as Duke of York seems unlikely, should the title be available.”
- Royal wedding: Everything you need to know to be up-to-date on Harry and Meghan's big day
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to become Duke and Duchess of Sussex at Royal Wedding
- Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Harry and Meghan's new titles
- Royal wedding 2018: Prince Harry, Meghan Markle marry
- Royal wedding live coverage: Harry and Meghan’s fairytale wedding
- Royal Wedding: Prince Harry, Meghan Markle officially married
- Harry and Meghan's titles will now be Duke and Duchess of Sussex
- Simsbury Raises a Teacup To Newlyweds Prince Harry And Meghan Markle
- Royal Wedding: What time Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding starts, TV, streaming info
- Royal wedding live updates: Minute by minute from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s big day
- The Latest: Harry arrives in military dress for his wedding
- Royal wedding live updates: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s ceremony is underway
- Princes Harry, best man William arrive for royal wedding
- Royal wedding live updates: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are officially married
- Here are Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's new royal titles, and why she's not a princess
- Royal wedding: Prince Harry tells Meghan Markle, 'You look amazing' at altar
- Watch Live: The big day is here — Prince Harry, Meghan Markle to wed
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle smile with joy at the altar
- Royal Wedding 2018: Prince Harry, Meghan Markle wed in Windsor as millions watch
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are married
How Prince Harry could take Prince Andrew's Duke of York title have 437 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at January 19, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.