Two girls who were on a picnic in the woods discovered the body of a man who had been buried in a shallow grave after they spotted his toes popping through the soil, a court was told.
Tomasz Dembler had suffered a broken back, a broken upper jaw and 15 fractured ribs and probably had his hands cut off after he died, a murder trial was told at Teesside Crown Court.
Five people are standing trial accused of the 39-year-old dad from Middlesbrough’s murder.
On Monday, the court heard that a Home Office pathologist’s report found that Mr Dembler’s injuries would likely have impaired the use of his lower body.
The report found hypostasis had set in before Mr Dembler was buried, and that his hands were probably cut off after he had died.
A post mortem found that it is likely he had been repeatedly kicked and stamped on and that the injuries to his neck may have been caused by pressure from his attacker’s arm, Teesside Live reports.
The prosecution say that Mr Dembler was killed in the hours after 3.35am on Sunday March 21 – sometime after he answered a phone call from a friend, asking him for a lift.
The dad – who was separated from his partner – told his friend that he was at a party in Middlesbrough, and couldn’t help her.
Peter Makepeace QC told the court that Mr Dembler died that morning; his hands were severed from his body, and he was buried the next day, in a shallow grave near Flatts Lane Country Park in Normanby.
The prosecution played CCTV footage showing six separate journeys that some of the accused made between Mr Dembler’s house on Edward Street and Flatts Lane, after they are accused of murdering him.
The first journeys, Mr Makepeace told the jury, were reconnaissance trips to see where they could dispose of the body.
Mr Dembler’s body was found weeks later on April 12, by two girls who were having a makeshift picnic in the woods.
They saw his toes in the ground and called the police.
Zbigniew Pawlowski, 41, of Leven Street, Newport, Middlesbrough; Rafal Chmielewski, 37, of Birchington Avenue, Grangetown; Adam Czerwinski, 45, of Edward St, North Ormesby, Middlesbrough; Tomasz Reczycki, 37, of Ashfield Avenue, Grove Hill, Middlesbrough and Monika Solerska, 37, of Birchington Avenue, Grangetown are all accused of murder.
All five deny murder.
On Monday afternoon, the court heard that some of the accused are blaming each other.
Mr Makepeace told the jury that Chmielewski will claim that he saw Zbigniew Pawlowski beat Mr Dembler to death and that Pawlowski threatened him with a gun to his head, when he wanted to call an ambulance.
Chmielewski claims, Mr Makepeace continued, that Pawlowski cut off Mr Dembler’s hands and put them into a suitcase.
The prosecution say that Chmielewski’s girlfriend, Monika Solerska – the only women to be accused – claims she was upstairs in Edward Street on the night of the alleged party, and that she was unaware of anything that happened.
The prosecution say Solerska is captured on CCTV driving her Mercedes up Ormesby Bank to the burial site on Sunday March 21, but she claims that the journey was a social one.
The prosecution told a silent court that Czerwinski last saw Mr Dembler in his downstairs bedroom, in the small terraced house that he shared with him and others, and that Mr Dembler was with Pawlowski.
Like Chmielewski, the prosecution say that Tomasz Reczycki will claim he saw Pawlowski beat up Mr Dembler and that he was too scared to intervene.
The court heard that Pawlowski’s defence will say that he left Edward Street at 11pm that night and knew nothing of a murder.
Mr Dembler moved to the UK 20 years ago from Poland.
His life took a downward spiral after he split up from the mother of his child, and he moved to Middlesbrough, taking a room in Czerwinski’s rented terraced home, where the prosecution say he was murdered.
Mr Makepeace told the court that Tomasz had grown apart from his family, who found his drinking and illicit drug use hard to accept.
His last message to his mother in Poland, read “leave me alone”.
The trial continues.
- The Latest: Oregon-Duke going toe-to-toe in 1st half
- 10 things my dad taught me about horse racing
- Fox Sports Ohio Girl Sara helps bring Spring Training to the Troops
- Making Weight: A First Hand Account of a Journalist Cutting Weight With a Pro
- Three Cuts: Replay debate, bullpen woes factor into Braves’ loss to Jays
- USA flex muscles over New Zealand ahead of World Cup roster cut
- Three Cuts: Freeman’s defensive save seals Braves win over Reds
- Lauzon’s latest vlog shows him cutting weight and getting weird looks
- Week 6 wrap: Playoff pressure already getting to some contenders?
- Naylor’s Journey: One college football player’s path from paralysis back to the sideline
- Fay Vincent Gets The Last Word
- Tragedy, injury have molded Michigan’s Caris LeVert
- WRESTLEMANIA Part 1
- The Vanishing Man
- Bryan Pata murder remains cold case
- Diamonds in the rough: Wisconsin enjoying a golden age of high school hoops
- Super Bowl commercials: Relive every ad from Sunday right here
- Top 20 nicknames in UFC history
- Twenty years later: The night O.J. Simpson’s Bronco chase crashed the NBA Finals
- Fight blog recap: Mark Hunt battles to a majority draw with ‘Bigfoot Silva’ in epic war
Girls find dad buried in shallow grave with 'hands cut off' after seeing toes pop out have 923 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 26, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.