With talk of diversifying the company's output, it's believed Activision will stop releasing a new Call Of Duty game every year.
Ever since 2005, Activision has released a new Call Of Duty game every year. It's practically a tradition at this point, a tradition that apparently could come to an end very soon.
In the wake of Microsoft's industry shaking acquisition of Activision Blizzard , it's been suggested that high-level employees are discussing potential changes to Call Of Duty's annual release schedule, courtesy of a Bloomberg report .
Currently, Activision has three main studios – Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer Games – it rotates between every year for Call Of Duty games.
This is done to ensure a new game every year, but one that has a relatively generous three year development period. More recently though, as modern games require ever more time and assets to create, almost every subsidiary under Activision is working on it in some form or another.
Talks of ending the annual releases likely started even before the acquisition, but Microsoft has already spoken of diversifying Activision's portfolio and taking advantage of its library of properties.
This can only be good news for fans of literally anything but Call Of Duty, but it's also possible that the current state of Call Of Duty has executives re-thinking their current strategy.
According to Bloomberg, 'There's a belief among many Call of Duty developers that releasing games at a slower cadence will please players and help bolster the franchise, particularly after the weak launch of last year's Call Of Duty Vanguard'.
While still a success, Call Of Duty: Vanguard was the worst selling game in the franchise since 2007. In addition, Call Of Duty: Warzone has suffered near constant issues as of late, resulting in many disgruntled players, something which has clearly not been helped by Raven Software's entire Q&A team going on strike .
Nothing has been finalised yet and it probably won't affect 2022's Call Of Duty game (which is all but officially confirmed to be Modern Warfare 2 ) but if this does pan out, it would make for another major industry shake-up.
For more stories like this, check our Gaming page .
- EXCLUSIVE - 'Regardless of our differences, we have love for her': Cheryl, Kimberley Walsh and Nicola Roberts SLAM claims they have group chat plotting to make I'm A Celeb's Nadine Coyle eat 'turkey testicles'
- Trump makes at least 18 false claims in ranting Fox & Friends interview
- Did Prince Andrew meet Jeffery Epstein YEARS before he claimed? Senior aide previously said Duke of York met billionaire paedophile in the 'early 1990s' - not '1999' as royal said in TV interview
- All the Call of Duty games, ranked from best to worst
- The TOXIC Duke: Standard Chartered is latest big name firm to cut ties with Prince Andrew after KPMG - as Outwood Bound will vote on ditching him as patron at meeting WITHOUT trustee Princess Beatrice
- Fans slam rumours Paul Walker’s character will return for Fast and Furious 9
- 'I can't stop falling in love with you!' Love Island's Justin Lacko gushes over rumoured new girlfriend Anita Scott as they share a passionate kiss
- Are they heading to the jungle? The Bachelorette's Georgia Love and RHOM's Janet Roach are the latest stars rumoured to be joining I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
- Relax! The world will NOT end next month: Nasa denies rumours of a massive asteroid impact bringing worldwide destruction
- Key suspect in infamous Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum art heist is released from jail after 21 years for separate robbery - and still denies knowing where the $500m Rembrandt and Vermeer masterpieces are
- Nikki Haley Was Under Consideration to ‘Step in as Vice President’ Ahead of 2020 Race, Book Claims
- Love Island's Ellie Brown shows off her enviable curves in sheer black lingerie... amid claims she's 'dating fellow reality star Michael Griffiths'
- Jeffrey Epstein accuser claims she once took his 'good friend' Bill Clinton's seat on the late millionaire pedophile's Lolita Express jet - and says the bedroom floors were made out of mattress foam
- Judge suggests RSPCA should no longer prosecute cases amid claims it stoked hate campaign against puppy owner
- Pub customer claims he was sent a ‘racist’ food order through anonymous app
- General Election 2019: Latest news as party leaders go head-to-head on Question Time tonight
- Thousands of TSB users are left without wages in latest IT bungle just three days after bank was slammed over systems meltdown that hit 2million customers
- Prince Harry took private jets for half of 10 trips despite 99% commercial claim
- As even David Cameron jumps on the latest food fad...Should YOU ditch dairy?
- Prince Andrew stepping back from royal duties
Call Of Duty will no longer be yearly franchise claim latest rumours have 881 words, post on metro.co.uk at January 21, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.