Rachel Lindsay and Bryan Abasolo are defying the odds of reality TV romance.
The couple, who met, fell in love and got engaged on “The Bachelorette” in 2017, were married in August 2019.
Lindsay, 36, told “Good Morning America” in a new interview that she and Abasolo are “still going strong to this day.”
Lindsay, who recently published the book “Miss Me With That,” talked about the secret to her long-lasting relationship with 41-year-old Abasolo.
“The secret is not being performative,” the attorney and podcast host said. “You come off the show … and a lot of times you feel like you have to perform for the audience, or you have to perform for social media.”
“For Bryan and I, we immediately left the show and immersed ourselves in each other’s realities,” she continued. “He moved to Dallas for me. We connected with our family, our friends. We built that circle of trust of people who know us and who love us. That established a really strong foundation for us at the very beginning.”
Lindsay said they have a healthy relationship because they encourage each other and make sacrifices. They’ve realized “we just need to be there for each other and to understand each other, because no one knows the relationship like we do,” she added.
As for why she wanted to write this book now, Lindsay said it was because “a lot of people think my life started the day I walked out of that limousine” on “The Bachelor” and “so much of my story has been told for me.”
“When you decide to be on reality TV, you don’t get to control that narrative,” she explained. “And then a lot of times people have seen me speak out about being a champion for change and for diversity and for inclusivity, but I wanted people to know who I was before I came on the show.”
WATCH: Rachel Lindsay dishes on meaning behind new book, “Miss Me With That”
Lindsay, who was the first Black lead in the “Bachelor” franchise, said she often feels “very misunderstood” and her hope is that those who read “Miss Me With That” will get to know her on a more personal level through each essay.
“I want people to feel like when they’re reading the book, they’re hearing my voice, they feel like they’re having an actual conversation with me,” she said.
“You’re also getting a more casual side of me,” Lindsay added. “People are used to seeing the polished version of me, the professional side, but with this book I strip back the layers and … what I hope you’ll get is a whole other side of me that I’m vulnerable, I’m sensitive, I’m a little sassy — which I think we already know that part.”
“Miss Me With That” is available now.
- The Bachelorette's Tayshia Adams teases secret Lakers player who slid into her DMs but says she 'wishes' it had been LeBron James
- Tayshia Adams proud to be a 'voice' for other girls of color as she reflects on becoming The Bachelorette amid calls for increased diversity
- Rachel Riley marries Strictly lover Pasha Kovalev in secret Las Vegas ceremony
- 'Bachelorette' Tayshia Adams Says A Laker Slid Into Her DMs, Wish It Was LeBron!
- Selling Sunset's Chrishell Stause and The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn Bristowe are all smiles as they head to DWTS rehearsals in LA
- I'm A Celebrity: Shane Richie's wife claims he has a 'secret sign' to tell his kids he loves them from camp as his ex Coleen Nolan backs him to win
- How I became a cult leader's 14th wife: She grew up in the Surrey stockbroker belt then worked in advertising. But as Kelly reveals in a jaw-dropping new book, a chance meeting with a Native American guru changed her life
- Made In Chelsea's Ollie Locke appears to CONFIRM secret marriage to partner Gareth as he shares romantic throwback snap... and is congratulated by a host of celebrity pals
- Meghan Markle’s pampering and preparing routine before the royal wedding revealed
- The Crown: Charles and Diana's tumultuous marriage, Thatcher's historic reign and Lord Mountbatten's devastating death: The top five moments to look out for in series four
- Suzanne Somers on keeping spark alive in her 43-year marriage in 2020: ‘We are constantly kissing’
- Julia Roberts kisses husband Daniel Moder as they celebrate 18 years of marriage
- Princess Alexandra's granddaughter Flora Ogilvy's beautiful wedding shoes revealed
- Salma Hayek forced to defend marriage after throwback bikini photo
- Serial mistress reveals she’s had 3 affairs since lockdown – but says her behaviour is ‘low risk’ & Gov can’t ban sex
- Image Comics February 2021 solicitations and covers revealed
- Little Mix members have secret plans to go solo as Jesy Nelson takes ‘extended time off’
- Suzanne Somers and husband Alan Hamel reflect on their decades-long marriage in Hollywood: ‘He turns me on’
- PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Frail Phil Collins, 69, is helped into a wheelchair as he arrives at Genesis rehearsals amid bitter fight over property with ex-wife Orianne Cevey, 46, after she secretly married another man
- The Queen Mum's very peculiar padding: From elocution lessons to a bra full of birdseed, Marion Bailey spills some of her backstage secrets before she returns as the exacting Queen Mother in The Crown
'Bachelorette' alum Rachel Lindsay reveals the secret to her successful marriage have 889 words, post on abcnews.go.com at January 25, 2022. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.