US Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell is pleased about the Democratic effort to impeach outgoing President Donald Trump, believing it will make it easier to purge him from the party, The New York Times reported on Tuesday. McConnell told associates that he believes Trump committed impeachable offenses, sources close to him told the US newspaper. Trump faces a second impeachment in the US House of Representatives over his alleged role in inciting his supporters to storm the Capitol building last week in a mob attack to overturn the results of the presidential election. The violence by pro-Trump groups on January 6 left five people dead and sent lawmakers gathered to certify the election results into hiding. Trump has refused to take responsibility for encouraging his supporters and said his remarks at a rally preceding the storming of the building were “totally appropriate.” House Republicans divided Multiple House Republicans have publicly said that they intend to vote in favor of the impeachment. US Representative John Katko on Tuesday became the first Republican House member to join Democrats in their bid to impeach the president. “It cannot be ignored that President Trump encouraged this insurrection — both on social media ahead of January… Read full this story
- Mitch McConnell rebukes Donald Trump's plan to pull US troops out of northern Syria
- What does impeachment mean, could Donald Trump be impeached after the midterms and how does the process work?
- Will Donald Trump be impeached? Latest odds on whether US President will complete his first term in the White House
- Trump is reportedly counting on Mitch McConnell to get him through impeachment inquiry
- Ivanka Trump savaged for reaction to Donald Trump's impeachment inquiry
- Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump tied in Rasmussen Reports 2020 poll
- CNN sues Donald Trump amid row over reporter Jim Acosta
- Frank Cassano’s Imbecile Parade: Should Donald Trump be Impeached?
- Donald Trump brands CNN reporter ‘rude, terrible person’ as they clash at fiery press conference
- Donald Trump salutes George HW Bush’s casket at Washington ceremony
US Senate's Mitch McConnell believes Donald Trump committed impeachable offenses — report have 335 words, post on www.dw.com at December 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.