Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Friday that Russia was prepared to break off relations with the European Union if it continued with planned sanctions. Lavrov was asked: “Are we heading towards a break with the EU?” in a snippet of an interview by the Solovyov-life program published on its Telegram channel and shared by the Foreign Ministry. He responded that Russia was ready to do so in the event that sanctions are imposed in areas that create risks for Russia’s economy. Watch video 00:44 Sergey Lavrov: ‘If you want peace, be prepared for war’ “We proceed from the fact that we’re ready [for that]. In the event that we again see sanctions imposed in some sectors that create risks for our economy, including in the most sensitive spheres,” Lavrov said. “We don’t want to isolate ourselves from global life, but we have to be ready for that. If you want peace then prepare for war,” he said. The full interview is due to be released later on Friday. Kremlin backtracks Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov later told reporters that Lavrov’s comments had been taken out of context, saying that Russia wanted to develop relations with Brussels, but that it must be prepared for… Read full this story
- Belarus will shut transit routes if sanctions imposed, Lukashenko says
- Belarus will reciprocate if sanctions imposed, Lukashenko says
- Vladimir Putin says Russia ready to help with Belarus security
- Belarusian President Threatens to Cut European Transit Routes if Sanctions Imposed
- U.S. Says Iran Must Leave Syria, Russia Can Stay, But Allies Keep the Oil
- How might West respond to Russia over Navalny poisoning?
- Exclusive: EU to blacklist 31 Belarus senior officials over election, diplomats say
- Navalny poisoning: Confronting Russia, EU has limited options
- Russia angrily denies German allegations on 2015 cyberattack
- Trump tells Ukraine leader he'll work to "restore peace" with Russia
Russia 'ready' to break ties with EU if sanctions imposed — Lavrov have 303 words, post on www.dw.com at January 12, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.