Notre Dame defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman, with mounting support from players and recruits, has emerged as the leading candidate to become Fighting Irish head coach, sources told ESPN.
No deal has been finalized, and several steps remain before Freeman can be formally announced as head coach, sources said.
Freeman, 35, is completing his first season as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator. Brian Kelly, who left Notre Dame to become LSU’s coach earlier this week, has pursued Freeman to join his staff as defensive coordinator.
Freeman on Wednesday met with Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, according to sources. Swarbrick also met with offensive coordinator Tommy Rees, who Wednesday night announced to the team that he would remain for the 2022 season.
Several Notre Dame staff members and players expect Freeman to be the team’s next head coach. Freeman played linebacker at Ohio State and was an assistant with Kent State and Purdue, before joining Luke Fickell’s staff at Cincinnati as defensive coordinator.
Fickell is also a top candidate for the Notre Dame head-coaching vacancy.
Information from ESPN’s Heather Dinich, Chris Low and Tom VanHaaren was used in this report.
- Notre Dame, Clemson benefit from mental skills coaching via sports psychologists
- Louisville to hire Scott Satterfield as football coach, source says
- With help from Jaylon Smith, Te'von Coney continues tradition of Notre Dame LBs
- Parkview's Tyem Freeman continues to be the best show in town in win over Cape Notre Dame
- Ball State basketball learned life lessons from Notre Dame upset
- Doyel: When will media dummies learn to stop doubting Notre Dame, Mike Brey?
- Chicken soup, bitter cold and a Notre Dame miracle at the 1979 Cotton Bowl
- Purdue basketball faces unsettling reality of current identity after Notre Dame loss
- Doyel: Embracing change allowed Brian Kelly to lead Notre Dame to College Football Playoff
- Buzzer breakdown: Notre Dame beats Purdue in Crossroads Classic with offensive clinic
- Notre Dame was staring at a 'must-win game' against Purdue, and delivered
- Doyel: Notre Dame's new, improved Brian Kelly has less boundaries, more winning
- Brian Kelly relaxes a bit and so does his Notre Dame football team
- Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly relishing role as College Football Playoff novice
- Inside look: What FSU is looking for in its next baseball head coach
- Brandon Wimbush, future options yet to be weighed, heads home with Notre Dame
- Boys basketball: Scott Woodring hits for 41 points as Waverly holds off Notre Dame
- Cotton Bowl: Breaking down the edges and keys to victory between Clemson and Notre Dame
- Notre Dame quarterback Brandon Wimbush will transfer after College Football Playoff
- Preparation is key in the rise of Notre Dame cornerback Julian Love
Notre Dame's Marcus Freeman leading candidate to be next head coach, sources say have 424 words, post on abcnews.go.com at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.