Reddit users were shocked this week after a woman revealed her husband's list of "birthday month expectations" ahead of his 30th.
The anonymous wife wanted to check whether he was taking his demands too far, but said she did want him to feel "special on this occasion".
While she had supported the idea of birthday month requests at first she admitted she “didn’t know what that meant til he started reading the list out loud which consists of things he expects throughout the entire month”.
Posting on the Am I The A**hole forum, she shared some of his bizarre demands.
These included "not to be asked to do any type of chores or clean or cook for a month” as well as “not to pay his part of rent this month".
He also wanted to “play with his Xbox for hours on end without me interrupting or nagging him about it”. And even “getting to go out with his friends whenever he wants.”
The wife said: “In other words he wants a month long vacation and time off from his responsibilities as a partner and as a father."
When she asked if he was being serious, he said that it would only last for the duration of his "birthday month".
His spouse said she "absolutely does not" agree to the conditions and said he was "out of line".
She added that they both work, but that she does “the majority of household chores and the majority of our son’s care as well as the majority of rent, bills and internet payments and I can not afford to do what he’s expecting me to do because we’re struggling already and I need his help especially now”.
Apparently, when she argued with him he “pitched a fit giving me grief about how I’m being selfish towards his wants and that in my place he would’ve agreed to do all he could to make my …(Birthday Month) the happiest month of the year for me”.
She added: “He hasn’t stopped talking about how disappointed he was that I treat his birthday like that and has been avoiding being near me making me feel like maybe I went too far here."
Get all the biggest Lifestyle news straight to your inbox. Sign up for the free Daily Star Hot Topics newsletter
But, hundreds of people in the comments were on her side and assured her he was the a**hole.
One bloke wrote: "Lol if I pulled that s**t on my wife I'd expect divorce papers for my birthday present.”
“The concept of ‘birthday month’ is when your life is so busy that trying to pack in all of your fave people into a day or a weekend isn't actually realistic," added another. "It's NOT a reason to not pay rent!!!”
While a third noted: “No responsibilities for the actual day of your birthday is a reasonable ask – you can take one day off work, sleep in late, have your spouse responsible for all meals/childcare/domestic chores, go out with friends.
“That’s fair. Even one day to relax plus a separate dinner with friends if the birthday itself doesn’t work.
“But a whole month off? Not paying rent at all? That’s completely absurd. Hell no.”
Some even suggested that the man was insisting on "abusing" his wife though domestic drudgery.
What do you think – who was in the wrong? Tell us in the comments…
- 'Slugs came through the floorboards': what it's like to be a millennial renting in Britain
- Not such a model tenant! Emily Ratajkowski's landlord claims that she and her millionaire husband have exploited a loophole and dodged $5,000-a-month on their Manhattan loft for TWO YEARS
- Emily Ratajkowski takes LA stroll with her husband... after 'accepting payout to vacate NYC loft'
- Thrifty life of Rachel Riley who refuses to buy anything online without a voucher code and gets her groceries in Lidl
- Petra Ecclestone's fiancé Sam Palmer shares a series of romantic snaps of the couple as the heiress celebrates her 31st birthday
- Senior citizen forced to stay on rent as own brother leaves her homeless
- Jenni 'JWoWW' Farley, 34, celebrates on-again boyfriend Zack Carpinello's 25th birthday with Jersey Shore family
- 'Happy Birthday, mumma!' Jake Wall shares sweet snap of wife Jennifer Hawkins with their newborn daughter on the model's 36th birthday
- PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Natalie Imbruglia, 44, dotes on her two-month-old son Max as she steps out with him for the FIRST time during their Christmas trip to the singer's native Australia
- Mother-of-five left with 5cm scar across her face after a drunk friend hit her with a DRAIN COVER when she refused to babysit her children so she could go partying
- Geri Halliwell marks Victoria Beckham's 45th birthday with throwback to 2007 tour featuring baby-faced Brooklyn and Bluebelle... as scowling Posh Spice dons THAT Pob
- Judge slashes Katie Price's two-year driving ban to 18 months after she failed to tell police who had crashed her pink Range Rover
- Rachel Riley gives birth to baby girl named Maven Aria in her BATHROOM 2 weeks late with Strictly husband Pasha Kovalev
- EXCLUSIVE: Hunter Biden's baby mama Lunden Roberts accuses VP's son of refusing to come clean on his finances - as it's revealed his new wife is pregnant with his fifth child
- Woman reveals she was left 'petrified' after her bank accidentally revealed her safe house address to her abusive ex-husband who had stolen thousands from their joint account
- Most American workers still pay the price of no paid parental leave
- Emily Ratajkowski packs on the PDA with husband Sebastian Bear-McClard as they enjoy day at the park with their dog... after moving back to LA
- Ground rent: ‘We feel like prisoners in our own home’
- Insurance Companies Are Paying Cops To Investigate Their Own Customers
- Royal fans could become neighbours with the Cambridge’s as cottage opposite Kate and William’s Norfolk home goes up for rent
'My husband refuses to pay the rent or do any chores during his birthday month' have 1003 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at December 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.