Meghan Markle makes charitable donation during Ellen interview
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex is the world’s most influential royal according to new data. No other figure, including the Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge , has this year received more online searches and mentions than her.
New analysis shows Meghan, 40, has in the past year pulled in a total of 7.4 million Google searches a month, featured in 10.4 million Instagram hashtags, and had 11,200 articles written about her.
A spokesperson for Design Bundles, which commissioned the research, said: “Meghan Markle has an extraordinary influence around the world, ever since she and Prince Harry's relationship took the world by storm in 2017.
“Meghan's bravery and boldness in speaking up about issues such as racism, parental leave and empowering women are unlike any other royal, and her voice is a powerful and enduring one.
“The Duchess of Sussex is deeply committed to alleviating world issues through her charity work, and despite no longer being a working royal, proves that her influence is positive and unchanging.”
No other royal has an online presence as large as Meghan Markle (Image: Getty)
Meghan and Harry, Duke of Sussex sent shockwaves through the Palace and beyond with their move to the US last year.
Their decision to step back as senior working royals and start a life away from the spotlight came after a turbulent few years in the UK.
Since starting a new chapter in Montecito, California, the Sussexes have given Archie a sister, Lilibet, and seem to have shifted their focus onto subjects they deeply care about.
In the case of Meghan, that has meant a growing involvement in US politics.
Meghan’s level of online influence may have been boosted by her involvement in political matters (Image: Getty)
She has in several instances raised the issue of parental leave, even writing an open letter to Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi and Senate leader Chuck Schumer calling for a “strong paid leave program for every American that's guaranteed, accessible and encouraged without stigma or penalty”.
She also pointed out that millions of women have dropped out of the workforce to provide for their children since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.
The mother-of-two wrote: “I'm not an elected official, and I'm not a politician. I am, like many, an engaged citizen and a parent.”
DON’T MISS The most beautiful royal wedding photos of all time – From Grace Kelly to Meghan Markle [PICTURES] Meghan and Prince Harry deprived the Royal Family of their own privacy with Oprah chat [INSIGHT] Four ways Prince Harry has followed in Diana’s footsteps [ANALYSIS]
Meghan used her interview with Ellen DeGeneres to raise the issue of parental leave (Image: CBS)
The Duchess is using her voice in the political sphere more and more frequently (Image: NYTimes DealBook summit )
Her bold political move alongside her later appearances at the New York Times DealBook online summit and The Ellen DeGeneres Show have all been chances for the Duchess to enhance her image as someone who uses their voice for important causes, which is likely to have contributed to her level of influence.
The research shows that Meghan’s online acclaim is followed by Her Majesty, 95, and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, 39.
The Monarch boasts 10.3 million Instagram hashtags, 3.3 million Google searches and 2,200 media mentions.
Design Bundles said: “Her commitment to duty and unwavering stability make her an incredibly popular figure across the world.
“It's clear that Her Majesty The Queen reigns in many people's hearts as one of the most influential and well-loved public figures in history.”
The Duchess of Cambridge, meanwhile, outnumbered Meghan in Instagram mentions, with 13 million hashtags.
However, overall, Meghan’s online footprint remains larger.
- ‘Free spirit’ Meghan Markle named in Time’s most influential list
- Priyanka Chopra hails Meghan Markle a 'princess for the people'
- These are Meghan Markle’s favourite Reebok trainers… and they can be yours for £70
- We imagine the Mills & Boon version of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal romance — plus you can win a copy
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle attend Queen’s birthday concert
- Meghan Markle marries in last ‘Suits’ appearance before royal wedding
- Eight in ten Brits have ‘no issue’ with Meghan Markle becoming Britain’s first mixed-race princess
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to attend Anzac Day commemorations
- America's second 'princess': Why Meghan Markle is a modern Grace Kelly
- Royal honeymoon: What destination will Meghan Markle and Prince Harry pick?
- Is THIS what Meghan Markle’s name will change to after she marries Prince Harry?
- Royal wedding dress: Will Meghan Markle go trendy or classic?
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry SEX TOYS on sale ‘to celebrate Royal Wedding with a BANG’
- Meghan Markle's brother writes explosive letter to Harry warning him off wedding
- In Pictures: Meghan Markle experiences more sombre side of royal duty
- Feminist Germaine Greer’s bleak prediction for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as she slams royals
- Meghan Markle backs campaign to get world’s poorest girls into education
- Here's how Botswana played a romantic part in Meghan Markle-Prince Harry's fairytale
- How old is Big Ben? The trivia US actress Meghan Markle must know to become British citizen
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle speak out in support of LGBT rights
Meghan Markle is world's most influential royal 'Brave and bold unlike any other' have 1018 words, post on www.express.co.uk at December 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.