A crash is causing traffic chaos on the M56 (Image: Highways England)
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
A section of the Westbound M56 was closed after a pile up involving multiple vehicles between junctions six and eight with one vehicle on fire. The closure caused miles of traffic to build up.
Officers from Cheshire Police were called to reports of the collision at 6.23am today.
The crash involved an HGV lorry, a red Suzuki Swift, a white Iveco HGV and a silver Ford Mondeo.
A Cheshire Police spokesman said: “One of the vehicles was on fire as a result of the incident – the fire has since been extinguished.
“There are no reports of any injuries, but the westbound carriageway is currently closed and motorists are advised to avoid the area.”
Highways North West put a diversion in place to route traffic around the crash.
Traffic queues on the M56 after a crash (Image: Highways England)
The Westbound lane was closed between J6 and J8 (Image: Highways England)
It said: “The M56 in Cheshire is closed westbound between J6 and J8 due to a multi-vehicle collision which has resulted in a vehicle fire.
“Cheshire Fire & Rescue and North West Motorway Police Group are on scene.
“Road users are advised to follow the Hollow Square diversion signs. ”
Transport for Greater Manchester confirmed the crash, adding that all Westbound lanes were closed with traffic moving slowly in the Eastbound direction.
Where are the UK’s best service stations? (Image: Express)
Motorists were advised to avoid the area if possible.
There were delays of up to 45 minutes, according to Highways North West which advised motorists stuck in the traffic that plans were being worked on to get them released from queues.
On the eastbound side a contraflow lane was set up, a spokesman for North West Motorway Police said.
He added: “It was closed while the service were putting out the fire. It will be moving very, very shortly.
DON’T MISS: US warns Putin is plotting imminent invasion [REVEALED] Donald Trump blasts Biden for removing Churchill bust ‘Why do that!?’ [REPORT] Boris in crisis: Tories fear they could LOSE key by-election [LATEST]
“Highways England are just sorting out the issues with a contraflow lane, [but] it is ‘avoid the area’ at the minute as it is very, very heavy [traffic].
“One lane will go westbound on the other side.”
Congestions maps showed a large swathe of the M56 not moving with severe congestion on the M60 stretching back to Stockport.
According to the traffic monitoring service Inrix, traffic was later allowed through via lane two.
In an alert at 8.12am, it said: “M56 Westbound closed, queueing traffic due to earlier lorry fire between J6 A538 Hale Road (Hale Four Seasons Roundabout) and J7 A556 Chester Road (Bowdon).
“Congestion to J3 (Baguley). Also seeing delays on the opposite side due to onlookers. In the roadworks area.
“Trapped traffic is now being allowed past the scene via lane two and the contraflow has also been cleared, this was after an accident involving a car and a lorry resulting in the lorry catching fire.”
- At Least 1 Killed In Multi-Vehicle Crash On Garden State Parkway
- Escape from the capital! Huge queues as desperate families flee London ahead of Tier 4 misery – as PM's critics mockingly congratulate him for causing the city's 'first evacuation since 1939'
- Photo: 27 Vehicles Crash in New York Amid Winter Storm Reportedly Leaving Six Injured
- German ambassador gets stranded in mayhem while on mercy mission to lorry drivers trapped at Manston airfield - as Sikh charity that fed 4,000 truckers in makeshift camp appeals for food parcels
- 5 Killed When 2 Cars Crash In Yonkers; Authorities Say Speeding Driver Slammed Into Car Carrying 4 People
- Over 10,000 Covid tests are carried out in effort to clear Kent lorry logjam with just 24 positive results as thousands of drivers still wait to cross The Channel after 800 military personnel were drafted in to help
- Only 1,600 to go..! Kent lorry chaos begins to ease with less than 2,000 drivers waiting to cross The Channel - after British and Polish army and French firefighters find just 36 Covid cases in testing drive
- Getting into the festive spirit! European lorry drivers crack out the booze as they face Christmas stuck in Dover - after one resourceful trucker managed to cook a delicious Mediterranean breakfast at the roadside
- Lorries queue at Dover to cross The Channel as Storm Bella delays ferries, while Grant Shapps urges France to ditch testing rule for drivers after just 36 Covid cases found among more than 15,000 swabs
- Operation unstack! Dramatic image reveals how 8,000 stranded truck drivers are finally on their way home after 'incredible' soldiers sacrificed time with their own families to carry out Covid tests
- Multi-car Pileup in South Dakota Prompted by Whiteout Conditions from Winter Storm Harold
- Port of Dover closed - fears food and NHS supplies to UK could be severely delayed
- Miles of Christmas misery: Tearful lorry drivers stuck in Kent chaos raise a glass to their families hundreds of miles away as they try to keep their spirits high while forced to spend December 25 in their cabs
- British testers find just THREE Covid cases among 2,364 drivers stuck at Dover: Thousands of stranded truckers head for home amid questions about 'unreliable' lateral flow tests used as 6,000 truckers remain stranded
- Christmas delivery! Villagers help stranded truck drivers stuck on the M20 in Kent by lowering food parcels containing beans, fruit and sweets from motorway bridge
- The families missing their stranded lorry driver fathers this Christmas: Romanian, Hungarian and Slovenian truckers tell of heartbreak at being split from loved ones while facing a lonely December 25 in their cab
- Now lorry drivers stranded in Kent are slapped with parking tickets as M20 closes for the night - with one fed-up trucker wiping out a car and another continually blasting his horn when he's unable to leave the UK
- Flood misery before Christmas: Homes are evacuated and stranded drivers are pulled to safety after four inches of rain sparks chaos in the South West
- Whiteout! Before and after photos show how Storm Gail has battered the East Coast killing six and causing over 1,000 crashes as more snow falls in one day in NYC than the WHOLE of last winter
- 5,000 lorry drivers forced to spend Xmas in their cabs as Army called in for Dover chaos
M56 CLOSED: Multi-vehicle crash sparks fire near airport - drivers trapped in huge queues have 1231 words, post on www.express.co.uk at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.