It has emerged that the Prime Minister has been accused of flouting the rules put into place across the nation during the Covid-19 pandemic within Downing Street last winter.
According to the Daily Mirror , dozens of staff were in attendance at two festive gatherings, while Mr Johnson reportedly delivered a speech at a leaving do full of people for a key aide last November, despite the lockdown that had been enacted at the time.
On Thursday's edition of Loose Women , the panel expressed their frustration over the supposed rule break, which many would expect to anger members of the public.
Jane explained why she was glad that the revelations were spilled now, amid a fear that the UK would be facing a second consecutive Christmas in a row with loved ones separated for the festivities.
'I'm sort of secretly thrilled. I don't know who's leaked this story, but I'm secretly thrilled it's come out because once all the kind of mutterings again started this year of "are we going to have another Christmas?", I just thought there's no way now with this story that they can tell the rest of us what we can and can't do,' she said.
As Nadia Sawalha shook her head in agreement, Jane continued, stating that it's 'going to be about personal responsibility'.
In response to the claims about lockdown parties in Downing Street, a spokesperson told The Daily Mirror: 'Covid rules have been followed at all times.'
A spokesperson for Mr Johnson's wife Carrie Symonds denied that she hosted any parties at the flat amid coronavirus restrictions, stating: 'This is total nonsense.
'Mrs Johnson has followed coronavirus rules at all times and it is categorically untrue to suggest otherwise.'
Jane also referenced a statement released by the prime minister's press secretary, who said: 'We don't recognise this account. As we've said, Covid rules have been followed at all times.'
The Loose Women star said: 'But you mentioned there that the Number 10 "we don't recognise this account" – that's always a classic, as a long-time journalist, when you hear somebody go: "We don't recognise this account," it just means that there's something in it, but we're just gonna say we don't recognise the exact.
'It might be that it was a large size room or it might have been 50 to 60 people and not 40 to 50. You know, you could take any bits of that.'
Loose Women airs weekdays from 12.30pm on ITV.
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- No 10 denies Boris Johnson missed emergency Covid meetings to write Shakespeare biography
- Boris Johnson, Political Escape Artist, Lands in Hot Water. Again.
- Boris Johnson Tightens U.K. Lockdown, Citing Fast-Spreading Version of Virus
- ‘Let the bodies pile high’: What really happened on night Boris Johnson was accused of outburst
- Baby, marriage & fight for life – Boris Johnson has had an incredible year
- UK's Boris Johnson faces questions over flat refurbishment funding
- Dominic Cummings says 'herd immunity' was UK policy in latest swipe at Boris Johnson
- Old and new: Who's who in Boris Johnson's inner circle
- Sun writers Ulrika Jonsson, Rob Rinder, and Jane Moore reveal what they are thankful for
- Labour and Lib Dems call on Boris Johnson to sack Matt Hancock after CCTV leak shows office embrace with aide Gina Coladangelo
- Covid-19 learns from experience – unlike Boris Johnson and his crew. We are paying for their mistakes
- Every key Covid event on the anniversary of the first English lockdown
- Dominic Cummings 'to be gone by Christmas' after losing Number 10 power struggle
- No10 refuse to confirm new lockdown in north despite saying they 'won't hesitate to act'
- Cummings’s new anti-Boris alliance aims to topple the Prime Minister
- Sajid Javid delivered Boris stinging Brexit rebuke before securing Health Secretary job
- British politicians rebel against any further COVID lockdowns
- UK Covid Latest: Coronavirus cases rise to 24,248 with 15 more deaths in UK as Boris remains set on Freedom Day
- Covid-19: 'Our duty' to act over Christmas plans, says Matt Hancock
- Covid: Cases rise as Christmas rules come into force
Jane Moore ‘secretly thrilled’ Boris Johnson’s ‘lockdown parties’ were leaked ahead of Christmas have 824 words, post on metro.co.uk at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.