Joshua Bassett has revealed he was 'routinely abused' by a man much older than him as a child, but repressed the memories to the point where he only 'remembered' the ordeal last year.
The former High School Musical: The Musical: The Series star, 20, opened up to GQ about dealing with the trauma of what he went through.
He revealed: 'I experienced sexual abuse a lot in my childhood. I didn't remember that until last year, which is pretty insane. I buried it so far.'
Joshua added that he also experienced abuse from an older man when he was a teenager as well: 'And when I was a teen, a much older man routinely abused me, and I wasn't able to see it for what it was at the time.'
The singer and actor says his new song Set Me Free helped him to process the trauma, with lyrics including: 'You've taken so much from me, but you don't get to take all of me.'
Joshua says the track is an 'anthem for me and the sort of people who've held pain and power over me my whole life.'
He also revealed he is launching a podcast next year to talk about the 'heavy' issues in the hopes of helping others who have been in similar situations.
Joshua has been using his music to process the past year, with his single Crisis being about 'all the crazy PR over the year' following his split with Olivia Rodrigo.
The actor had come under fire from fans after being the reported subject of Olivia's break-up songs Good 4 U and Drivers License from her album Sour.
The former couple are reported to have met while filming High School Musical: The Musical: The Series in 2019, but neither confirmed or denied they were dating while they were together.
Victim Support offers support to survivors of rape and sexual abuse. You can contact them on 0333 300 6389.
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Met Opera Reels as Fourth Man Accuses James Levine of Sexual Abuse
- Classical Music Has a ‘God Status’ Problem
- Avicii’s Final Journals Reveal a Superstar DJ Haunted by Demons
- Best Music of 2021: Staff Picks
- Alice Glass accuses former Crystal Castles bandmate Ethan Kath of abuse
- In Madhya Pradesh, pandemic takes girls out of schools and into forced marriages
- Christopher Plummer, Actor From Shakespeare to ‘The Sound of Music,’ Dies at 91
- Spider-Man cast now – sexual misconduct denial, high-stakes poker and tragic death
- Review: Hot Stuff Turns Cold in ‘Summer: The Donna Summer Musical’
- Spider-Man No Way Home Review: A Cyclical Journey Through Time and Commercialism
- How a Josh Duggar Subreddit Became a Forum for Sexual Trauma
- Ghislaine Maxwell trial verdict LIVE – Husband of guilty Jeffrey Epstein ‘Madam’ revealed and her dad was Robert Maxwell
- ‘Despicable Criminal Behavior’: Man Sentenced To Prison For Using Facebook To Distribute Child Pornography | The Daily Wire
- Evil Ghislaine Maxwell helped Epstein abuse me – now her pal Prince Andrew must face criminal probe, says victim
- These are the books most challenged by Texas school districts
- The Best Music Books of 2021
- Revealed: Ex-Teacher Hawks White-Nationalist Homeschool Lessons
- Alex Haley Taught America About Race — and a Young Man How to Write
- There's a special class of abuser that domestic violence experts fear — police officers
- Isanti Co. Man Sentenced To 24 Years In Prison for Coercing Minor To Produce Child Pornography
High School Musical’s Joshua Bassett reveals childhood sexual abuse by ‘much older man’ have 611 words, post on metro.co.uk at December 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.