Barcelona president Joan Laporta has been asked “what he’s smoking” after he made an audacious claim about Ousmane Dembele in comparison to French compatriot Kylian Mbappe.
Dembele set Barcelona back an astonishing £135million back in 2017, but the star has been riddled with injury which has led to his move being somewhat of a flop.
To make matters worse, the Frenchman could leave the club for free as his contract expires at the end of the season, with Barcelona desperate to keep hold of the player due to their financial difficulties.
In what appears to be a desperate attempt to either attract interest or convince the player to stay, Laporta has made a wild claim against his star and Mbappe.
Laporta told Catalan channel TV3: “I like Ousmane Dembele, for me it's clear: he's better than Kylian Mbappe. He wants to stay and we want him to stay here.
“It's about his agents bringing proposals to the player, we want to show him it’s not just about money.”
As you could expect, this caused a stir online with Twitter fans left bewildered by the claims, and one fan asked Laporta: “What is this guy is smoking?”
Can Ousmane Dembele ever reach Kylian Mbappe’s level? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
One fan brutally responded with this stat: “Mbappe has more goals at Camp nou in 2021 than Dembele while just playing one game there.”
Another claimed: “There isn’t anyone out there who would actually believe Dembele is better than Mbappe. Why Laporta would just say that is crazy. I don’t think he knows how to tell the truth.”
Even high-street opticians Specsavers got in on the act, with their admin asking Laporta: “Eye test here we go.”
Don’t miss a thing with our football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?
Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don’t miss a thing.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit ‘subscribe’.
And that’s it, job done. You’ll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
In truth, Mbappe is achieving the potential and trajectory that many expected Dembele would accomplish when making the jump from Borussia Dortmund, but the move really hasn’t paid off.
The Frenchman has been linked heavily with a move to the Premier League, and although Barcelona are desperate to keep hold of Dembele, a fresh start may be required to revive his career.
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona to swap Griezmann for Neymar?
- Portland Police Chief Says Protesters Went Off to “Whine And Complain” Last Week Because Officers “Kicked Your Butt”
- Neighbors Asked to Stay Inside While Crews Fight Fire at Vacant East Killingly Mill
- Man who refused to leave home during La Tuna fire said he did not threaten firefighters
- Tiki-Taka: 5 things to look out for in the Champions League Round of 16
- Tensions mount in Tijuana as migrant caravan arrivals swell
- U.S. suffers setbacks in effort to ban Chinese tech company
- Meeting America's political extremes
- Meet the people at America's political extremes
- The Latest: Thousands rally in Spain to support Guaido
- Desperate police departments consider recruiting non-citizens
- Tony Pike, hotelier who epitomized hedonistic lifestyle, dies at 85
- Marijuana legalization: Pot linked to car wrecks, suicides
- Two sisters vanished four decades ago from a shopping mall. Here’s how the case was finally solved.
- WHO’S BEHIND HUAWEI?
- Remember these cold cases? Technology giving investigators new life in solving them
- The amateur sleuth who searched for a body – and found one
- John Hickenlooper Is Running for President As Himself. Uh-oh.
- Multiple Crews Battle Fire at Vacant East Killingly Mill
- Special Report: Chelsea”s East Side Money Gang battles notorious MS-13
Barcelona chief asked "what he's smoking" after Ousmane Dembele and Kylian Mbappe claim have 676 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at December 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.