WASHINGTON: The United States announced Friday it is restricting travel from eight southern African countries over fears of a new variant of Covid-19 detected in South Africa.
Travel will be mostly banned starting Monday from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi, a senior official in President Joe Biden’s administration said.
Only US citizens and permanent residents will still be able to travel from the eight countries, the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, added.
“The policy was implemented out of an abundance of caution in light of a new Covid-19 variant circulating in Southern Africa,” the official said.
“Our scientists and public health officials are working quickly to learn more about this variant,” the official added.
“President Biden has promised to take every measure necessary to keep Americans safe and defeat the pandemic, and this was a step recommended by US government medical experts and the Covid-19 Response Team.”
- Stocks and oil plunge as new Covid variant fears slam global markets
- WHO names new Covid variant Omicron, cautions against travel measures
- COVID in Europe: Germany relaxes travel restrictions on 8 countries
- Omicron Covid variant has spread in UK community, confirms Sajid Javid
- UPDATE: What we know about “Omicron,” new travel restrictions to Thailand
- Punjab, Delhi announce fresh curbs amid Covid surge; new variant 'IHU' identified: Top developments | India News - Times of India
- U.S. To Lift Omicron-Linked Travel Ban On Southern Africa
- For some emerging economies, new Covid wave spawns new thinking
- Omicron: Prioritising booster jabs over poor countries could cause 'dire scenario'
- Covid: Scramble begins for booster jabs - Long waits as new variant sows panic
- Omicron variant in California: L.A. County reports 2 new omicron cases, both in people who traveled outside state
- New Cases Are Reported as Beijing Sets New Rules
- COVID-19 Live Updates: CDC strengthens its recommendation on booster shots
- COVID in Europe: France hits more than 330,000 cases, Italy mandates jabs for those over 50
- Here We Go Again: Chaos Rules Global Response to Omicron Variant
- Covid India Omicron Today Updates: As Covid cases multiply, states roll out stricter curbs
- Travelers banned from entering U.K. without a negative COVID test
- An Omicron cluster in diplomats and an outbreak at a Steps concert: The variant's timeline is shifting
- Foreign Ministry Quashes Rumors of Restrictions on UK Travellers
- Are ewe jabbed yet? Flock of sheep form the shape of a 330ft SYRINGE as part of German Covid vaccination drive
US imposes restrictions for travel from 8 African countries after new Covid variant have 389 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.