Omicron: International travel restrictions criticised by expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
New holiday testing rules will come into effect from 4am on Tuesday November 30 following the discovery of the Omicron variant. Holidaymakers will need to take a day two PCR test.
TUI said in a website statement: "Following the UK Government announcement, we are aware of the changes to post travel testing requirements.
"All travellers returning to the UK will now need to take a PCR day two test and self-isolate until they receive a negative test result.
"This change will come into effect at 4am on Tuesday 30 November 2021."
British tourists now need to take a PCR test before day two after arriving in the UK and must self-isolate until they receive the result.
TUI has issued a holiday warning to British tourists (Image: GETTY )
The major travel operator added: "Just so you know, there's no change to the current guidance for unvaccinated customers.
"Any customers who do not wish to travel and are due to travel up to and including 19 December can amend their holiday free of charge.
"Unfortunately, we're not able to offer refund credit notes to our customers. Holiday changes can be made by calling us on 0203 451 2688."
Ski holidays in the Alps could be affected by a new quarantine requirement for Switzerland.
British tourists will need to quarantine for 10 days after arriving in Switzerland, including in Geneva, a major ski arrival hub.
Unvaccinated British tourists over the age of 12 will not be allowed to visit Spain after December 1.
Currently, British tourists can visit Spain if they are unvaccinated as long as they provide a negative COVID-19 rule.
This will no longer be possible after Wednesday December 1 which could impact families with children over the age of 12.
Unvaccinated British tourists over the age of 12 will not be allowed to visit Spain after December 1 (Image: GETTY )
In the UK, many teenagers have not been offered two vaccinations which could stop them entering Spain on holiday.
Portugal will require all passengers, including double vaccinated travellers, to provide a negative test result from December 1.
The Portuguese Government has said airlines will be fined almost £17,000 if they bring a passenger without a negative test result.
The UK has also introduced a travel ban on travel to and from ten African countries, including South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.
The world’s most expensive cities (Image: EXPRESS)
The Omicron variant has sparked fear across the globe as scientists suspect it is more transmissible than current variants.
It is not yet known whether Omicron will cause more serious symptoms than the current Covid variants.
British tourists are advised to check the UK Government website and with their holiday provider before travelling.
Restrictions could change rapidly and with little warning so holidaymakers are advised to check the rules up to their day of travel.
- Spain travel warning as Barcelona riots: Arrests spark orgy of violence across Catalonia
- Things to Check Before You Go on Holiday
- Thomas Cook UK collapse has no relevance to Thomas Cook India businesses: India CFO
- Prepare For Long Term Travel
- Financial Travel Tips
- Passport updates: Should you renew your passport before half term holiday?
- Isles of Scilly holiday guide: what to do, plus the best beaches, restaurants and hotels
- British teacher, 41, cleared of sex crimes in the UK could face up to 12 years behind bars in Spain over claims he abused a 15-year-old pupil
- Holidaying in the UK - A Growing Trend This Summer
- Barcelona riots: What is the latest update for travellers heading to Spanish city?
- Holiday Swine Flu - UK Holiday Travel Advice
- 10 of the best small UK towns for winter breaks
- Holiday and Travel Insurance Trends in the Recession
- North Korea - Holiday in a Secret State
- Thailand News - Travel Situation Update
- Gambia Travel Advice - How to Avoid 'Bumsters'
- 5 Essential Travel Tips For Holders of Credit Cards
- Holidays - Tips on Taking Better Photographs
- Travel Security - Proper Planning Prevents Travel Nightmares
- Cruise: TUI passengers can bag £120 free spending money onboard these bargain river cruise
TUI issues travel warning to British tourists following UK’s new holiday rules have 869 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.