Millions of people are celebrating Thanksgiving with family and friends today as U.S. airports and the road networks cope with a major jump in passenger numbers, so far at least.
A spokesperson for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) told Newsweek that travelers should prepare for airports to look like they did before COVID , warning the 20 million people expected to pass through security this holiday season to be mindful of others.
Celebrations come as new virus infections surge across the country , prompting many states to plea with people to have small gatherings and wear masks indoors.
Follow Newsweek’s liveblog for all the latest…
WATCH: What happens when deep-frying a turkey goes wrong
Firefighters have been warning people of the dangers of deep-frying a whole turkey for years, but still many people choose to dunk their thanksgiving bird into a vat of oil.
In many cases, this has led to the oil spilling over and causing serious burns and, in the worst cases, explosive fires.
Pictures show busy last-minute rush on LA’s roads
Highways out of the city were rammed late last night as people make a last-minute dash to see family for Thanksgiving, in what’s officially the busiest day of the year for travel so far.
Travel experts AAA suggest taking trips early in the morning – before 11am – and late in the evening – after 9pm, which is what many did. But an explosion in traffic compared to last year meant roads were left jammed nonetheless.
Biden says he is ‘grateful to serve as your president’ in Thanksgiving message
The president told viewers that he was happy families could enjoy the holiday season together unlike many last year due to COVID.
Online calculator tells you how likely you are to catch COVID at Thanksgiving gathering
An interactive dashboard was created by researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology with Duke University, Stanford University, and the Applied Bioinformatics Laboratory.
The website offers an interactive map broken down at the county level where users can plug-in details about the event they are considering going to, including the number of people in attendance.
The resulting calculated risk level, which is presented from zero percent to 100 percent, is the estimated chance that at least one individual infected with COVID-19 will be present.
Where to watch the Thanksgiving parade
The 95th edition of the NYC parade will feature 15 giant character balloons – including Baby Yoda – as well as 28 floats, 36 novelty and heritage inflatables as well as over 800 clowns, 10 marching bands, nine performance groups, and various musical stars, in addition to Santa Claus.
But where can you watch if you can’t make it to the Upper West Side?
The parade will be covered live from 9am to 12pm across all time zones on NBC and Spanish-language broadcaster Telemundo as per the tradition since 1948. The November 25 television special will include a music number by Carrie Underwood from her album My Gift (Special Edition), as well as performances of Broadway’s best musicals such as SIX, Moulin Rouge! and Wicked. The show will also feature a sneak preview of NBC’s Annie Live!.
Good morning and welcome to Newsweek’s liveblog
Thousands of people are lining the streets waiting for the New York City Thanksgiving parade to begin.
Follow Newsweek’s liveblog for all the latest.
- Women’s March Highlights as Huge Crowds Protest Trump: ‘We’re Not Going Away’
- Afghanistan Live Updates: Western Countries Step Up Evacuations, Taliban Tries to Rebrand
- Ivanka Trump Is a 'Living Barbie Doll' — and Persuasive to Republicans — Ex-White House Aide Says
- COVID-19 Live Updates: Federal agencies requiring vaccine, Delta variant overwhelms Texas
- Inauguration Updates: Senate Makes First Biden Cabinet Confirmation
- A tepid Saturday Night Live doesn't give Dan Levy enough of a showcase
- Looking for the Heart of ‘Saturday Night Live’
- SNP conference LIVE: Stunning claim Scotland 'moving towards' OWN currency in Indy threat
- Coronavirus update: Anzac Day services cancelled, stock market cops record drop while Trump tells shoppers to 'just relax'
- Biden’s Inaugural Will Draw Stars, but Not the Crowds of Years Past
- Biden’s Inauguration: Expect Smaller Crowds and More Social Distancing
- London Black Lives Matter protest: 13 people arrested outside Downing Street
- Brexit LIVE: Now THAT's why we left! 'First mover' Britain to eclipse EU in new power race
- Trump campaign vows 'never fear' rallies will return; experts warn large events should return 'later part of 2021'
- Afghanistan latest updates: 'I stand squarely behind decision' on US troops withdrawal, says Biden
- Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk LIVE: Build-up for huge heavyweight fight, Ukrainian ARRIVES in UK- latest updates
- Coronavirus government response updates: Trump 'looking forward' to Cuomo visit Tuesday
- Saudi Arabia Declares Cease-Fire in Yemen, Citing Fears of Coronavirus
- Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk LIVE: Build-up for huge heavyweight fight, Ukrainian ARRIVES in London – latest updates
- Boris meets Biden LIVE: US president brutally snubs UK but mentions EU as key ally
Thanksgiving Live Updates: White House Calms Supply Fears, huge crowds gather for NYC parade have 836 words, post on www.newsweek.com at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.