TAXPAYERS are forking out over £1million a month on "free" lawyers to get criminals out of jail early.
Murderers, rapists and paedophiles were among convicts given legal assistance at 6,292 parole hearings last year.
Lags can demand lawyers plead they are safe to be released or ask for a move to a softer prison .
Ministry of Justice figures show a record £58.5million has been spent in the past five years on hiring lawyers to aid cons at parole hearings.
More than 28,000 sessions took place in jails. Every hearing costs the taxpayer about £2,000 and there are more than 125 every week.
The details emerged after child killer Colin Pitchfork was returned to jail for breaking his parole conditions three months after being set free.
In June, the parole board's decision to release him sparked an outcry.
David Spencer, from the Centre for Crime Prevention, said: "These huge sums show why the Ministry of Justice must make the system fairer to victims and taxpayers."
The Ministry said: "Not a penny of this money goes to offenders. The vast majority are refused release."
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Click here to upload yours.
- A Private Super Court Is Helping Corporate Criminals Go Free
- Felicity Huffman asks to spend her two weeks in jail in a 'luxury Club Fed': College cheating scandal actress wants to serve her short stint in a one of America's 'cushiest prisons' that has NO BARS and been dubbed 'Chateau Dublin'
- Lawyer X royal commission blog: Simon Overland questioned over diaries he denied existed
- Three immigration judges and five lawyers 'scammed taxpayer out of up to £12.6m in fake legal aid payments linked to restaurant boss defendants convicted for hiring illegal workers'
- Harvey Weinstein’s lawyer asks court to consider 'if a person could have sex for reasons other than love' and judge warns court 'this is not a referendum on the #MeToo movement' as seven jurors are finally selected and Gigi Hadid is dismissed
- CAA protest: Emergency days were better, says septuagenarian lawyer out of Lucknow jail after a month
- More than 80,000 Canadians sign petition demanding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pay their own way as MP for Victoria - where they are staying - says taxpayers should NOT foot the bill for their security
- Ram Singh was killed and later hanged, alleges his lawyer
- Manager at firm responsible for installing fire alarms at Grenfell Tower is jailed for six years after he took £800,000 in bribes from sub contractors in return for securing them work
- Detroit Man Exonerated After Nearly 30 Years in Jail 'Always Had Faith This Day Would Come'
- British millionaire’s son avoids jail for hit-and-run killing of a mother in Spain, seven months after being cleared of kidnapping a woman from a Costa del Sol nightclub
- Disentangling the threads of a broken criminal justice system
- Laurent Gbagbo appears before international criminal court
- Veteran turns covert cop, nabs 300 criminals in 15 years
- Intellectual property lawyer 'trademarks Sussex Royal brand in America to teach Harry and Meghan a lesson about having a proper plan'
- Robot doctors, online lawyers and automated architects: the future of the professions?
- HSBC files: Swiss bank hid money for suspected criminals
- Michael Avenatti ordered to stay in jail as his criminal trials begin
- Curt Schilling’s demise: from sports savior to enemy of the taxpayers
- Silicon Valley CEO Pleads ‘No Contest’ to Abusing His Wife—and Is Offered a Deal for Less Than 30 Days in Jail
Taxpayers are paying £1m a month on ‘free’ lawyers to help criminals get out of jail have 673 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.