The Buccaneers had Taylor on their short list of candidates whom they were considering with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft.
One high-ranking Buccaneers official even said in recent weeks that had offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs been selected before their turn in the first round, Tampa Bay would have drafted Taylor at No. 14.
But Wirfs was available, and Tampa Bay traded up one slot from No. 14 to San Francisco ‘s turn at No. 13 to draft the offensive tackle who has been a standout since joining the Buccaneers.
But that selection didn’t diminish the way that Tampa Bay felt about Taylor, who enters Sunday’s showdown as the league leader in rushing yards (1,122) and total touchdowns (15).
“I loved him,” Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians told reporters this past week. “He could do it all, and it was just a matter of time — playing behind that offensive line — that he was going to be the force that he is.”
The Buccaneers nearly had Taylor slide to them in the second round at pick No. 45, but the Colts ultimately traded up from No. 44 to No. 41, where they drafted Taylor. Tampa Bay wound up drafting safety Antoine Winfield Jr. , who has been a standout during his first two NFL seasons.
- NFL Draft 2020: Wrap of first round picks
- Who Mastered (And Muffed) The Virtual NFL Draft
- Which recruiting site won the 2020 NFL Draft?
- NFL Draft 2020: how to watch, schedule, time and date, draft order, top picks
- Colts find new potential weapons in draft to help Rivers
- Neville Gallimore is thrilled to be drafted by Dallas Cowboys
- NFL Draft 2020: Grading every team's incoming class
- 2020 NFL Draft: Aaron Rodgers among veterans hurt by team's selections, A.J. Green looked at as a winner
- Joe Burrow on cloud nine after Cincinnati Bengals select him No 1 overall in NFL Draft
- Prisco's 2020 NFL Draft grades for all 32 teams: Vikings among four to earn an 'A,' Packers get lowest mark
- Prisco's 2020 NFL Draft grades for all 32 teams: Vikings among four to earn an 'A,' Packers given lowest mark
- 2020 NFL Draft NFC South reset: Division odds, team grades, best picks, 2021 mock draft and more
- NFL Draft LIVE REACTION: Joe Burrow named No1 pick while Tagovailoa goes to Miami – latest updates
- Redskins offseason tracker 2020: NFL draft picks recap, free agent scorecard, key dates, and more
- 2020 NFL Draft: Most questionable pick made by all 32 teams, including two in Round 1 but not the Packers
- 2020 NFL Draft: Joe Burrow, Clyde Edwards-Helaire are perfect fits, while four first-round picks were not
- NFL Draft 2020: Each team's most underrated pick
- Super Bowl 55 odds: Big bet placed on Colts to hoist Lombardi, Buccaneers make leap after Tom Brady signing
- Samuel Cosmi a way-too-early first-round favorite for 2021 draft
- Giants trade Jason Pierre-Paul to Buccaneers in blockbuster trade that shakes up draft
Tampa Bay Buccaneers considered Jonathan Taylor in 2020 draft, could have taken RB at No. 14 if Tristan Wirfs was unavailable have 472 words, post on abcnews.go.com at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.