Meghan Markle and Harry: How Queen decided on a ‘hard Megxit’
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were allegedly snubbed by the Queen when she asked for an image of the couple to be taken away, claims Christopher Andersen’s new book, ‘Brothers and Wives: Inside The Private Lives of William, Kate, Harry and Meghan’. In his book, Mr Anderson claimed that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were upset when their picture was nowhere to be seen during the monarch’s 2019 Christmas Day broadcast.
A source told the author that the Queen "looked over the tables where the photographs she had so lovingly selected were arranged”.
The monarch is reported to have pointed at the framed image and said: "That one, I suppose we don't need that one."
The picture featured the Duke and Duchess of Sussex holding their then-seven-month-old son Archie.
According to the Mirror, it was just months after the alleged incident that the couple decided to step back from the royal family and move to California.
The picture featured the Duke and Duchess of Sussex holding their then-seven-month-old son Archie (Image: Getty)
According to the book, the Queen removed a picture of the couple from her desk (Image: Getty)
The new biography alleges that the photograph was originally placed on a desk alongside other family images but ahead of the broadcast, the 95-year-old monarch asked an aide to remove the photo.
Apparently, the photograph of the Sussexes was the only one she chose to remove.
This came after Harry and Meghan chose to spend Christmas in Canada with Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland.
At the time, a statement from the palace read: "Having spent the past two Christmases at Sandringham, Their Royal Highnesses will spend the holiday this year as a new family, with Duchess' mother Doria Ragland.
Mr Anderson claimed that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were upset when their picture was missing (Image: Getty)
It was just months after the alleged incident that the couple decided to quit the royal family (Image: Getty)
"And has the support of Her Majesty The Queen."
Images of William and Kate, Prince Charles and Camilla, the Queen’s father George VI and the Duke of Edinburgh all remained visible during the broadcast.
However, the Queen did also give a nod to the Sussexes and the birth of baby Archie in her Christmas address, saying: "Two hundred years on from the birth of my great, great grandmother, Queen Victoria, Prince Philip and I have been delighted to welcome our eighth great-grandchild into our family.”
Royal commentator Ingrid Seward also said at the time it was unlikely the Queen's photo selections represented a deliberate snub to Harry and Meghan.
DON’T MISS: Australia 'dusting off plans' for Republic [REVEAL] Firm ‘relieved’ that Barbados quit Commonwealth before Charles’ reign [INSIGHT] Nigel Farage tipped to become PM as Boris issued horror warning [ANALSIS]
A timeline of Meghan and Harry’s relationship (Image: Express)
She said: "It does seem to represent the idea of a slimmed-down monarchy."
"All the media problems with Harry and Meghan must have worried her.
“However, she would never be so underhand as to deliberately omit their picture.
The book also claims Prince of Wales was the royal who speculated on the skin colour of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s future children.
Royal commentator Ingrid Seward said it was unlikely that it represented a deliberate snub (Image: Getty)
When asked about the book, a palace spokesperson told the New York Post: "We don't comment on books of this kind as to do so risks giving it some form of authority or credibility."
A Clarence House spokesman said: “This is fiction and not worth further comment”.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped back from royal duties in March last year.
- Meghan Markle's brother says their family is torn apart over royal wedding snub
- The sweet secret reason The Queen always wears bright colours… and 12 other fashion rules the royal family always follow
- Royal Mint releases £5 coin to celebrate Harry and Meghan’s wedding and it costs a FORTUNE
- Royal Wedding coin 2018 – Royal Mint releases £5 coin to celebrate Harry and Meghan’s nuptials and it costs a FORTUNE
- The 'Markle sparkle': Why Prince Harry's fiancée reminds people of Princess Diana
- These are Meghan Markle’s favourite Reebok trainers… and they can be yours for £70
- This is why the Queen will attend the wedding of Harry to divorcee Meghan Markle… despite snubbing Charles’ wedding to Camilla
- Royal baby: Palace reveals new details
- The 15 biggest reveals from Andrew Norton's Meghan Markle book
- Meghan Markle's family still don't know if dad Thomas will be at wedding
- Who is Meghan Markle's future husband?
- Why I fell in love with Meghan Markle
- Royal wedding album: Decca to record Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's ceremony for special vinyl release
- Royal wedding: BBC waives TV licence fee for community street parties watching Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's ceremony
- Ann Widdecombe attacks Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for supporting LGBT+ rights
- America's second 'princess': Why Meghan Markle is a modern Grace Kelly
- Meghan Markle leaves Suits with on-screen wedding ahead of Prince Harry marriage
- Meghan Markle’s intense fitness routine revealed by former trainer
- Royal honeymoon: What destination will Meghan Markle and Prince Harry pick?
- “Prince Harry would have raised eyebrows”: Royal Biographer Andrew Morton tells all about Royal bride-to-be, Meghan Markle
Royal picture snub - Meghan and Harry were 'upset' after Queen spurned Christmas snap have 1056 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.