I’m a Celeb: Richard Madeley’s advice to Naughty Boy
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Richard Madeley has been taken to hospital in the early hours of the morning after falling ill in the camp of I'm A Celebrity. According to sources, the 65-year-old only received precautionary medical care and is now reportedly "on the mend". But the presenter is no stranger to health scares. During one 2014 interview, Madeley told how recurring bouts of aching left him worried he may have cancer.
The presenter, who is taking part in the current I'm A Celebrity series at Gwrych Castle, is said to have fallen ill after partaking in a trial.
The challenge, known as the "Kitchen Nightmares", saw the presenter get drenched in rotting fruit and fish guts.
In it, Madeley was tasked with finding a series of stars among a kitchen setting covered in bugs and rodents.
The presenter was disappointed by his performance after he only managed to retrieve four of the 10 stars.
Richard Madeley: The star was brought to hospital after falling ill (Image: Getty / ITV / Shutterstock )
An ITV spokesperson said: "Richard was unwell in the early hours and was immediately seen by our on-site medical team.
"He's since been taken to hospital as a precaution, the health and stay of our campmates is our priority."
Detailing the moment Madeley fell ill, a source told The Sun: "It was horrifying – campers were really upset and concerned, all of the crew and medics rushed to set to help him.
"It was a real scare for everyone involved."
The presenter is taking part in the ITV show alongside Frankie Bridge, Olympic diving champion Natty Lee, EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt and former BBC host Louise Minchin.
Madeley has spoken of his troubling health scares in the past, including one which transpired to pneumonia.
"I'm very lucky that I've been very healthy all my life. Every morning I've woken up feeling as I did aged 20,” said the journalist.
"But last autumn I woke up feeling absolutely terrible.
"I was afflicted for about 24 hours at a time with a really unpleasant flu-like illness – aching, throbbing, lights before my eyes."
Richard is said to be recovering from his illness (Image: ITV)
"At Christmas I realised I had to get it checked out. They did some blood tests but still couldn't figure it out and thought I might have some primary tumours causing my immune system to break down.
"So I then had a full body scan which, though nerve-racking, showed I had no tumours. What it did find was a little bit of fluid on the lung.
The journalist continued: "I saw a consultant and it turns out I'd had low-level pneumonia for about six months which kept coming back. In the end I saw it off."
Some of Madeley’s health scares are said to stem from his mother’s cancer battle, which tragically claimed her life in March 2014. Mary was also battling Alzheimer's disease at the time of her death.
Richard Madeley with wife Judy Finnigan (Image: Getty )
"My mother, about 12 years ago now, she was in her early 80s then, but she began to get some strange symptoms,” Madeley told the Express in May.
"And she was diagnosed on the same day as having both lung cancer and Alzheimer's disease, which came as a complete shock to everybody, but she was terribly laid back about it."
He continued: "Anyway, mum did succumb to the cancer first, although the dementia, I wouldn't say it was advanced, but it was very apparent that it was beginning to get a grip on her. Her memory was going, her focus was going."
Richard is married to wife Judy Finnigan, with whom he shares two children named Chloe and Jack.
- Lin Shaye on making Wes Craven laugh and scaring the parking attendant at her
- Mother claims 'toxic' breast implants left her in such severe pain she couldn't get out of bed for days and caused an array of health conditions from eczema to hair loss
- 'Grace Kelly seemed like an angel': Clive James and others on their first crushes
- How the NHS is spending £100 million on the WRONG DRUG: Cystic fibrosis campaigners blast politicians for 'playing games with our children’s lives' as a new treatment works wonders in the US - but we can’t have it here
- All-American Despair
- The Art of Rest by Claudia Hammond review – too stimulating by far…
- Rocking around Rod's Christmas tree! From the guests to the gifts (and those little rock star touches), Rod Stewart on HIS big day
- Letters: baby boomers, give the young a chance
- A world breaks apart: When parents split up
- The psychology of spiritualism: science and seances
- Beto O’Rourke Could Be The Democrat Texas Has Been Waiting For
- The Complicated Reality of John F. Kennedy Jr. and Carolyn Bessette's Short but Legendary Relationship
- Dishonored Diary: Playing through in four different ways
- 'I'm a lucky man that Barbara Bush was my mother': George W Bush leads tributes as former First Lady dies aged 92, two days after stopping medical treatment with her husband of 73 years by her side until the very end
- Fight for the right to party
- EXCLUSIVE: Pamela Anderson claims she was threatened by prison chief at the maximum security prison in London holding her close friend Julian Assange
- Guy Garvey: ‘I used to think booze helped me write. It doesn’t’
- Oklahoma Was Never Really O.K.
- Revenge of Jamie Lee Curtis
Richard Madeley health: Presenter’s scare ‘Aching, throbbing, light before my eyes’ have 1150 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.