Ralf Rangnick confirmed as Manchester United interim manager
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick has been urged to experiment with a new position for Cristiano Ronaldo in order to fit him into his style of play. Rangnick was appointed United manager until the end of the season on Monday. The German will not be in charge of the match against Arsenal on Thursday as he awaits his visa.
Ronaldo was dropped from the United starting XI on Sunday by Michael Carrick.
Many, including former Red Devils right-back Gary Neville, thought Carrick’s starting XI was influenced by the incoming Rangnick.
Carrick denied that was the case but Ronaldo’s position in the team under Rangnick is in question.
Rangnick is regarded as the creator of the ‘gegenpress’, a high-pressing style of play which some feel would not suit Ronaldo.
Man Utd news: Ralf Rangnick has been urged to change Cristiano Ronaldo’s position (Image: GETTY)
But former Liverpool and West Ham midfielder Don Hutchison reckons there is a way around it for Rangnick.
Hutchison says Ronaldo should be used as a No 10, similar to the position United legend Eric Cantona played.
He told Premier League Productions: “Turn him into a No 10. When you think of Arsenal and they had Thierry Henry or Ian Wright, they had Dennis Bergkamp.
“Man United had Cantona. Play him as a 10. Just give him a little bit of a free role but have a structure behind him.”
DON’T MISS Man Utd icon Sir Alex Ferguson’s furious X-rated blast at interim boss Michael Carrick [QUOTES] Man Utd boss Ralf Rangnick to face ‘independent panel’ after failing automatic work permit [REPORT] Ballon d’Or 2021 rankings in full: The world’s top 30 football players unveiled [NEWS]
Former United striker Dion Dublin agrees with Hutchison that playing Ronaldo as a 10 would help solve any potential problem.
He replied: “Correct. Get him into a position where he hasn’t got the ball and ‘stay behind the ball for us, don’t be squeezing’.
“He’s never going to be the trigger for squeezing. He’s never going to be the trigger for the squeeze.”
Dublin reckons all teams should be allowed one luxury player in their side like Ronaldo.
Man Utd news: Ralf Rangnick and Cristiano Ronaldo will aim to win United’s first trophy since 2017 (Image: EXPRESS)
He added: “There’s always one luxury in your side. You allow him to do what he needs to do in order to get you over the line with goals and offensive play.
“Let him do what he’s got to do. He’ll do his little bit, he won’t do as much as most, but you have to have players like that in your side.”
Ronaldo will be vying for a starting spot for the visit of Arsenal on Thursday.
The Portuguese has scored just one goal in his last eight Premier League appearances.
- Can Cristiano Ronaldo turn around Juventus' Champions League fortunes?
- Man Utd target Eduardo Camavinga signs with Gareth Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett ‘opening door to Prem transfer’
- Man Utd star Cavani has ‘astonishing’ body fat percentage and sticks to his fitness regime like Cristiano Ronaldo
- Rumour Has It: Pogba wants Real Madrid move, Ronaldo could return to Man Utd
- 11pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: January targets, Cavani faces FA racism probe, Van de Beek’s swollen ankle
- 1pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Harvey Barnes targeted EXCLUSIVE, Woodward backs Solskjaer, Haaland pursuit LATEST
- Inside David Beckham’s £6m Cotswolds mansion where birthday boy and Man Utd star celebrated turning 45 in lockdown
- Man Utd star Fernandes created more chances than any other PL star this season vs West Ham despite playing just 45 mins
- Chelsea target Matthew Bondswell snubbed Man Utd before move to RB Leipzig and was a track and field star at school
- Gary Neville says Edinson Cavani ‘negrito’ post should have been prevented as Man Utd legend calls for more education
- 8pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Harvey Barnes targeted EXCLUSIVE, Woodward backs Solskjaer, Haaland pursuit LATEST
- Ronaldo nominated for UEFA TOTY for 17th straight year as Bayern dominate
- Ronaldo thanks players, coaches and opponents after netting 750th goal
- Barcelona 0-3 Juventus: Ronaldo double helps displace Blaugrana
- Ronaldo was my hero - Liverpool forward Jota reveals admiration for Portugal team-mate
- Champions League: Ronaldo scores 750th goal; PSG win
- George Russell will replace Lewis Hamilton for Sakhir GP after F1 champ tests positive for coronavirus
- New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson Drops Out Of 2021 Mayoral Race, Discusses Depression
- Last orders before lockdown: Pubs run dry as drinkers make the most of half price pints to stop them being poured down drain as new rules come into force at MIDNIGHT
- George's royal premiere: The Cambridges are treated to a back-garden film screening with Sir David Attenborough as the excited young Royals watch the broadcaster's new documentary
Ralf Rangnick urged to experiment with new position for Cristiano Ronaldo at Man Utd have 984 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.