Meghan Markle ‘building philanthropist brand’ says expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry stepped down as members of the British Royal Family in January 2020. Since then, the pair have openly criticised the institution, and have stated that their time as royals negatively impacted their mental health. The comments resulted in the Palace releasing statements in response to the claims and started a game of cat and mouse between the Sussexes and the monarchy.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s departure was discussed on the Channel 5 documentary 2021: The Queen’s Terrible Year.
The Queen’s former press secretary, Charles Anson said: “The Queen sticks to her decisions, so if things go wrong, she never turns around as said ‘who advised me to do that?’ but very much is aware that she had the final say on what should be done in a certain situation.”
Camilla Tominey added: “There was this concern that they were going to set up shop in direct competition in the US and that would have proved difficult.
“So, on one hand, the Queen had the pressure on her to kind of preserve the institution of monarchy, while also trying to preserve her own familial relations with their beloved grandson.
The Sussex’s stepped down in Jan 2020 (Image: Getty)
The pair publicly condemned the institution (Image: Getty)
Stewart Purvise MBE added: “I don’t think either side emerged from it terribly well, there was a sort of series of collisions that were happening.
“It looked like it was going to get worse, and it did get worse.
We now know that the health of Prince Philip was deteriorating.
Meghan Markle: Royal fans left unsure about Ellen interview
Harry and Meghan (Image: Express)
Ms Tominey added: “Since he retired in 2017, there had been concerns about Prince Philip’s health.
“The idea of a 99-year-old man going into hospital is always a worry.”
Prince Philip later died in April, just two months before his 100th birthday.
Prince Harry returned to the UK for the funeral, Meghan Markle stayed in LA following doctor’s orders as she was heavily pregnant.
Queen ‘can’t stand’ Kate Middleton and Prince William’s habit with royal children 'Entitled' Meghan Markle 'sounds a lot like' Kamala Harris, says former congresswoman Royal Family NEEDS publicity to justify taxpayers’ funding members ‘Must be scrutinised’
As we come closer to the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee year, we still don’t know if Meghan and Harry will return to the UK to join the celebrations.
The Queen will become the first monarch in British history to reach a 70-year-reign.
- Britain's royal family doubles carbon emissions from travel
- Are the Royal Family worth the cost?
- Sir Elton John’s friendship with the royal family
- Farage lashes royal family in incendiary rant Down Under
- Harry and Meghan reveal name of Royal baby
- Leona O'Neill: Lay off Meghan and the new royal baby
- When Angela and Peter met The Queen and Prince Harry ...
- Cost of royal family to UK taxpayer rises to £67m
- The £2.4 million cost of Harry and Meghan's new home
- A history of Royal christenings
- Queen doesn’t want Meghan ‘to feel like another Diana’
- Queen’s secret fears over Meghan
- Harry, Meghan, Kate and William cost Prince Charles £5m
- No, Queen didn't ignore Meghan at event
- Harry and Meghan in charity split from William and Kate
- Queen recycles Trump dress on day he calls Meghan 'nasty'
- And Baby Archie makes 16! Who’s who in the Queen's royal brood
- Meghan Markle appears at Queen's Trooping the Colour parade
- Donald Trump's shock at Meghan's 'nasty' comments in 2016
- Behind the scenes at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding
Queen was 'concerned' Meghan and Harry would be 'direct competition' for Royal Family have 768 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.