Spencer: Official trailer for new Princess Diana film
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Princess Diana 's wedding dress became one of the most iconic wedding dress of all time. It was often referring to as the "most closely guarded secret in fashion history" because so few details were revealed until its grand debut. Diana's wedding to Prince Charles took place on July 29, 1981, at St. Paul's Cathedral in London. She walked down the aisle wearing a creation by husband-and-wife team David and Elizabeth and apparently, the Princess of Wales asked for a special something to be sewn to the inside of her gown.
Recalling the time he was asked to design Diana's dress, David said: "It was an extraordinary occasion.
He told Tatler in 2017: "She was beautiful, she was divine and it was just a simple phone call – would we do the honour of making her wedding gown.”
As for the details of the dress, it was a silk silk-taffeta fairytale gown with Eighties era-defining puff sleeves.
The train was a whopping 25 feet – the longest in the history of royal wedding dresses.
Princess Diana's wedding dress secrets: The good-luck charm requested to be sewn inside (Image: GETTY)
Diana had one of the longest wedding dress trains in history (Image: GETTY)
It was embellished with 10,000 mother of pearl sequins and pearls, reportedly costing an estimated £90,000 at the time.
While the train was certainly a jaw-dropping moment, it was said the entire ball gown and train didn't quite fit into the horse-draw carriage Diana and Prince Charles sat in.
As a good luck charm, the Emanuels attached an 18-carat Welsh gold trinket to the inside of her dress.
This was reportedly a request made by Diana.
The trinket was a horseshoe studded with white diamonds.
Horseshoes are a symbol of good luck on wedding days.
A matching umbrella in case it rained, was also designed.
David revealed: "It was made of such light material that it certainly wasn’t waterproof…it wouldn’t have done her much good."
DON’T MISS… Martin Lewis issues warning over some Black Friday deals ‘Careful!’ [VIDEO] Inside Princess Diana's niece Kitty Spencer's lavish £19m mansion [PICTURES] Michael Mosley's 5 diet tips to achieve rapid weight loss [GUIDE]
Princess Diana struggled to get the train into the carriage (Image: GETTY)
Diana had a D and C painted onto the bottom of her shoes (Image: GETTY)
Alongside the dress, the shoes Diana wore also had to be carefully considered.
hey were designed by celebrity shoemaker Clive Shilton and Diana was reportedly conscious not to appear taller than her husband-to-be, since her and Charles both stood at 5’10”.
After six months of collaborating with Clive, they finally agreed on the design.
The shoes were satin and lace slippers, with a low-heel, and intricately decorated with 500 sequins.
100 seed pearls were also included and the suede sole arches were marked with a small 'C' and 'D' painted under the heel, with a heart added between the initials.
As for what was 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue', the antique lace embellishment was originally from Queen Mary, while the dress itself ticked the 'something new box'.
For 'something borrowed', Diana wore the Spencer family tiara, while 'something blue' was a small bow sewn inside the bodice.
- Princess Diana wedding: Date, guests, engagement and honeymoon explained
- The dress of the century: Everything you need to know about Princess Diana's wedding gown
- Royal wedding dress: Which royal had the most expensive dress - costing £6million?
- Princess Diana and Prince Charles' wedding broke with 300-year royal tradition
- Story of Princess Diana's wedding dress - record train, backup gown and creator's horror
- The Epic Story of Princess Diana's Wedding Dress: 3 Months, 25 Feet of Train and a Major Fashion Legacy - E! Online
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding secrets - private note and shock admission
- Princess Diana's secret PINK dress she wore on wedding day revealed
- Princess Diana’s secret ally in Charles marriage unmasked as his ‘other mistress’
- Royal secret solved: Who Princess Diana was REALLY thinking about on final birthday
- Princess Diana's bridesmaids now - Queen's 'adored' niece and one that sold her dress
- Princess Diana and Prince Charles both made mistakes during their wedding vows
- Princess Diana's wedding cake slice goes on sale – but it'll cost you £400
- Ghislaine Maxwell compared to Princess Diana by friends after vile joke: ‘I made her cry’
- The Crown: How did Prince Charles and Princess Diana meet and how big was their age gap?
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding day in detail: the slip-ups, the dress, and being in the 600,000-strong crowd
- Kate Middleton and Prince William's nods to Charles and Diana's wedding on their big day
- Meghan Markle beats Kate Middleton to top royal wedding chart
- Diana and Charles's royal wedding cake slice tipped to fetch eye-watering £500 at auction
- Charles and Diana's wedding day: Everything you need to know about the royal wedding that made the world stand still
Princess Diana’s wedding dress secrets: The good-luck charm requested to be sewn inside have 1026 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.