Fashion designer Virgil Abloh has died, aged 41.
The Off-White founder and Louis Vuitton artistic director died after a two-year battle with cancer .
LVMH confirmed the sad news in a statement, with stars rushing to pay tribute to the talented designer .
'LVMH, Louis Vuitton and Off White are devastated to announce the passing of Virgil Abloh, on Sunday, November 28th, of cancer, which he had been battling privately for several years,' it read.
A message from Louis Vuitton boss Bernard Arnault said: 'We are all shocked after this terrible news. Virgil was not only a genius designer, a visionary, he was also a man with a beautiful soul and great wisdom.
'The LVMH family joins me in this moment of great sorrow, and we are all thinking of his loved ones after the passing of their husband, their father, their brother or their friend.'
The late fashion icon's close family shared a lengthy tribute on his Instagram page, honouring his memory.
'We are devastated to announce the passing of our beloved Virgil Abloh, a fiercely devoted father, husband, son, brother, and friend,' they penned. 'He is survived by his loving wife Shannon Abloh, his children Lowe Abloh and Grey Abloh, his sister Edwina Abloh, his parents Nee and Eunice Abloh, and numerous dear friends and colleagues.
'For over two years, Virgil valiantly battled a rare, aggressive form of cancer, cardiac angiosarcoma. He chose to endure his battle privately since his diagnosis in 2019, undergoing numerous challenging treatments, all while helming several significant institutions that span fashion, art, and culture.
'Through it all, his work ethic, infinite curiosity, and optimism never wavered. Virgil was driven by his dedication to his craft and to his mission to open doors for others and create pathways for greater equality in art and design.
'He often said, "Everything I do is for the 17-year-old version of myself," believing deeply in the power of art to inspire future generations.
'We thank you all for your love and support, and we ask for privacy as we grieve and celebrate Virgil's life. Virgil Abloh. September 30, 1980 – November 28, 2021.'
Stars have paid tribute to Abloh on social media after the sad announcement.
'I am so sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. May you Rest In Peace and Power dear Virgil,' Marc Jacobs commented underneath the post.
'A true inspiration in so many ways. Rest in peace @virgilabloh,' Victoria Beckham shared beside a photo on her Instagram page.
'Sending love and light to your beautiful family. We will all miss you so very much x.'
Helena Christensen wrote: 'This is so devastating. Virgil, I will treasure our communication, even only in writing it made me smile every time.
'You shone so bright the time you were here.'
Abloh first sparked his love for fashion when he was attending the Illinois Institute of Technology, while getting his Masters of Architecture, and soon began designing his own T-shirts.
He went on to intern for Fendi in Rome, where he became close with rapper Kanye West – who later appointed him as creative director of his agency, DONDA, and the artistic director of his Watch The Throne tour with Jay-Z.
The designer launched his debut company, Pyrex Vision in 2012, and founded his iconic fashion house Off-White in 2013.
His career took another turn in 2018 when he was named as artistic director for Louis Vuitton menswear, sharing his first collection later that year with huge names including Kid Cudi and Playboi Carti hitting the catwalk.
Abloh has collaborated with Ikea, created a special outfit for Serena Williams ahead of the US Open in 2018, and recently designed Hailey Baldwin's wedding dress for her nuptials to Justin Bieber.
As well as this, he also enjoyed a DJ careered appeared on stages around the world.
Abloh is survived by wife Shannon and children Lowe and Grey, sister Edwina and their parents, Nee and Eunice.
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Virgil Abloh Debuts First-Ever Louis Vuitton Men's Collection At Fashion Week in Paris
- Somewhere over the rainbow: Virgil Abloh embarks on a new era for his debut Louis Vuitton collection
- Virgil Abloh — ‘the world is looking for the second coming’
- Kanye West cries as his muse makes debut at Louis Vuitton
- Kanye West breaks down in tears at Louis Vuitton fashion show
- Cavender's founder, Texas icon dies at the age of 87
- Virgil x Naomi: Fashion’s Biggest (and Still Blackest) Stars in Conversation for Vogue
- Abloh’s historic debut at Vuitton is a big draw in Paris
- Fashion's man of the moment Abloh reigns over Paris shows
- Young millionaire who gave away his fortune after cancer diagnosis dies, aged 32
- Fashion Gives Its Top Award to a Man Who Says He Isn’t a Designer
- All the celebrities who have died so far in 2018
- Nurse in OH allegedly faked cancer for sympathy, money
- Northwell Health hosts celebration for cancer survivors
- Rimowa, Off-White unveil suitcase collaboration
- Joe Jackson, Father and Jackson 5 Manager, Dies at 89 (Report)
- Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan dies at age 68
- Neal Boyd, one-time 'America's Got Talent' winner, dies
- Loved and lost: which celebrities died in 2018?
- Here's our tribute to the celebrities who died in 2018
Off-White founder and Louis Vuitton designer Virgil Abloh dies after cancer battle aged 41 have 922 words, post on metro.co.uk at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.